31 July 2008

Trip Down Memory Lane

I went to my friend's house last night to make some flower bows for Samantha. The things are all the rage these days, and I didn't want to shell out 3-7 bucks for a dinky little thing I could make for 20-50 cents. I had a lot of fun making the bows, but I've also been wanting to make some ribbon bows too. (Not like Samantha has much hair, but I'm sure she will soon, especially if she gets hair genes from anyone in the family other than me--if she gets 'em from me, she's doomed.) One little hitch, though: I don't know how to make bows! None of my attempts were satisfactory. Happily, one can find instructions for almost anything on the Internet.
I've found some pretty good instructions and bows; some totally took me back to the late '80s/early '90s when I wore bows (and dresses) like the ones in the pictures.
For example, I had one of those plastic bows with stuff inside; mine had Runts. I also had a few of these (none with crayons, though); enough to match most of my outfits. And I never wore a balloon barrette, but I had one made out of shoelaces. And, oh yes, I wore the side half-ponytail. And the big bangs. I never had a bow like this, but I love the caption ('cause I don't think it's true--I'm pretty sure those things were out of style for over a decade).
*sigh* It almost makes me want to not put any bows in Samantha's hair. Will she look back at her pictures and think I was crazy? But like David is fond of saying, almost only counts in Horseshoes and hand grenades. I'm totally going to go all out with bows. I mean, she's the only girl I've got; I gotta girl her up!

4 comments:

Marissa said...

Oh my goodness. I remember those bows. Funny there were EVER the thing to put in your hair. But I never wore them! I had really short hair when those were in style. (which didn't look that great either though).

Jennifer said...

Kadee is awesome at making cute hair bows. Not to big and frilly and she makes them to match Gracie's outfits. She showed me how and it was so easy. Maybe she will post a few samples on her blog, with a how to. If she is too busy with moving and stuff I can try, but she is better at them.

Unknown said...

That was a blast making those flowers! I feel bad, I had some bows I had made for Evie before and it didn't even phase me to show them to you. I was kind of disapointed on my attempt with some of my flowers that night. We'll have to do it again and this time with both bows and flowers. Can't wait till then.

Lura said...

I had one of the clear plastic bows! It was filled with Chiclets bubble gum. It sounds like you had fun making bows.... makes me wish for a girl!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers