22 May 2008

My New Intestine-Destroyer

My mom got a gift basket for Christmas (yeah, I realize that was five months ago) which contained this little innocent-looking jar of marinade.


I guess my mom didn't think it looked so innocent, because she passed it on to me. It says "Tastes of India" in the corner, which probably means spicy.
I have some chicken in my freezer (the most boring meat on earth, but it sure dresses up nice--almost everything makes it better) which I've been meaning to thaw and marinate in this stuff. I decided that before I marinate a bunch of chicken, I should see if I like the flavor of the sauce, so I opened up the jar and gave it a little test. [Insert sounds of Heavenly Choirs here.] Beautiful, delicious, sweet and spicy nectar! The ingredients include mango puree, ginger, paprika, "spices" (whatever that means), and a bunch of other stuff that I've never heard of.
I still haven't marinated my chicken, but I've been eating this sauce like it's going out of style (well, you have to use it within so many days of opening it, you know). It replaced my favorite Pace Picante Sauce, which I previously put on everything* from chips to breakfast burritos to quesadillas, to fish sticks, chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese (this is sounding a lot like the way my dad uses ketchup)... I wonder why my stomach sometimes feels like it's being stabbed from the inside at random intervals throughout the day. Move over Pace, and make room for Patak!
*Sometimes David looks at me with suspicion as I'm pouring salsa all over everything. He asks, "You're not pregnant, are you?" I'm pretty sure I'm not (well, okay, I know I'm not), because when I was pregnant, I never craved anything. But when I'm not pregnant, it's all about salt, fat and spice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know the feeling!

For me the craving for chocolate simply overwhelms me and drives me crazy until I have some. It is almost like a curse in many ways. At least what you are craving is likely pretty healthy, all but the amount of sodium that is usually in something like that!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers