12 December 2006

I'm All For Zoos

I was just browsing some pictures online and there were lots of animal pictures, most of which (if not all) were taken at a zoo. And I got to thinking about zoos and how, almost every time I've gone to one, someone in or near my party says, "Zoos are inhumane. I hate them." As a general rule, I'm against extremism on either end of the spectrum, but those bleeding-heart PETA activists especially drive me crazy.

Don't get me wrong; I don't endorse cruelty to animals (though I do eat meat, and people may argue that the cow I ate was cruelly murdered before it was cut up and cooked for my enjoyment), and I do actually like a lot of what I've seen on PETA's website. I do, however believe in moderation. And open-mindedness.

Consider all the facts before you go on a rant about the atrocities of zoos. This snippet came from a Wikipedia article:

"Most animal rights activists disapprove of zoos because they interpret zoos as human domination over equal creatures and criticize their educational value as being superficial and useless."
Are you people [animal rights activists] kidding me? Where else would an inner city kid (or a country bumpkin like myself) get to see a giraffe? A cheetah? A rhinoceros? I've never been to Africa, but I've seen a live rhino. It was magnificent. Even the lack of 'natural environment' at a zoo is a lot more stimulating to young minds than just reading about these animals out of a book.

Granted, there are some zoos in existence that mistreat animals, but I believe those are few. The problem most zoos have is funding. So next time you go to the zoo, don't just pity the animals; drop some moolah in the donation box and think about how you just helped purchase some food or medicine for that animal.

And if it weren't for zoos, would this picture exist?







(AP Photo/Paul Miller/FILE)

No comments:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers