16 December 2006

At Risk of Sounding Ungrateful

Sometimes I wonder if the in-laws just invite us to lunch with them so they can watch Drew and Owen eat. They've actually given the boys a new nickname: "The Eaters." Creative, I know.
I guess I shouldn't care, since they usually pay (and by usually, I guess I mean always), but sometimes I get a little tired of it. It's always loud, everyone making a big deal whenever one of The Eaters eats something. "My gosh, he ate a pea. Oh! He's eating a piece of bread! Look at him chow that french fry!" (In case this isn't coming across at all like I'm imagining it in my mind, think sarcasm and bitterness.)
And it seems like we always see someone the in-laws know, and have to be introduced, and they all have to ogle over the boys and stand there and watch us eat, and someone almost always says, "My, you have your hands full. I'm glad it's you and not me!"
Is that supposed to be clever or witty? It makes me want to pimp-smack them and say, "Thanks for stating the obvious. I'm glad it's not you, too. With that attitude, you'd be a horrible parent." (Bitterness, once again)
But because I'm so nice, I always just flash my best cheerleader smile (I've got one, even though I was never a cheerleader), say, "Yes, thanks. It was nice to meet you, too." And I act like one of the boys needs my rapt attention so I no longer have to make eye contact.
At the end of the whole experience I feel like saying, "If you're gonna make me earn my meal, why don't I just pay next time? Grr."
Bitter, bitter, bitter. Sorry, everyone. Here: this video at the end of ACE's post will make you feel better. Maybe I should watch it again, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Heather! I hear ya. Probably not in the exact same scenario (sp?) but just for a little example, since we just moved to a new place and all I get THIS comment EVERY SINGLE TIME I am introduced to someone. "Your name is Abby? Abby? DEAR ABBY!!! Get it!!! DEAR ABBY!!! Ha ha ha ha!First time said.... pretty funny, 247th time said.... still kinda funny... 1,000,001st time said... NOT SO FUNNY. And not clever either, so I'm sure when people do that with your kids the 747th time it REALLY isn't so funny. Good luck with that!
Abba

Anonymous said...

At church last Sunday a young woman gave a talk and introduced herself and her husband. She noted that she has heard every "short" joke in the books and asked the audience to please refrain from telling jokes about being short to her as they meet her. I hadn't even noticed that she was short. When I was sick, I hated to hear the question "How are you?" and made up some bitter answers in my head. I guess we all have to live with other peoples' comments.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers