28 December 2009

Deep Conversation Over A Vanilla Pear Foot Rub

I have lovely memories of evenings spent with my mom and sister. My mom would wash our feet, and put lotion on them to keep them soft. We would talk about things that were important to us, share stories and memories, mom would tell us about her childhood.
Tonight as I was helping the boys get ready for bed, I noticed their feet were a little dirty, so I offered to wash them and put some lotion on them. It turned into a fun little time to chat with them. Then they started asking some important questions, and I have to admit I was a little stumped. It started out innocently enough, with Drew asking, "Where did I get my police helicopter from?" I told him he got it from Santa.
Then Drew asked me, "Where did you get me from?" Uhh... I told him he came from my belly. He asked, "How did I get out?" I told him he and Owen grew in there and when they were big enough, I went to the hospital and the doctor opened up my belly and took them out and sewed me back up. (That's one nice thing about having had a c-section; I really don't know how I would have explained a regular delivery to a four year old...)
Drew thought that sounded pretty funny. He said, "Guess how I got you?" Then he told me, "You were in my belly and I went to the hospital and they cut me up and took you out and then they sewed me up and gave me some medicine." And he laughed like it was the funniest thing ever. I guess I'm glad he thought it was funny and not scary.
I want my kids to feel like they can always talk to me, and ask me anything. And I want to always be forthcoming with my answers. Hopefully this is a good start.

2 comments:

Ace said...

The whole pregnancy and delivery thing does sound like some from a sci-fi movie when you think about it. Growing babies inside of you? Weird. Can't wait for that talk with Deborah.

Lura said...

I also want my kids to always feel like they can talk to me (and especially ask me questoins about the big stuff). We've already had some conversations about sex with our boys. I just try to keep it on their level and I NEVER say "I'll tell you when your older" because I figure if I don't tell them now, they may not want me to tell them when their older.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers