09 December 2009

I Want My Six-Pack Back

I've been getting up early lately. I won't say what time, because I know most of you get up earlier than that every day. But I don't usually get up until later in the morning, so it's early for me. Especially since I haven't been going to bed all that much earlier.
I've been getting up early so I can work out. My friend and I had been running a few mornings a week, but we feel like we're not just equipped to run in barely-above-zero temperatures. Also, we felt like we wanted to work out more often than just three times a week, which is about all I could do with David's work schedule. But my friend doesn't want to run every single day because she gets to skinny. Seriously; she has a really fast metabolism (I wish I had that problem), and she's already pretty thin.
We decided we would work out inside. I have some exercise DVDs that I purchased a couple years ago, and some that I inherited from various sources. So on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, we do aerobics with Kathy Smith. On Tuesdays and Thursdays we do Pilates with Denise Austin. We're only on week two, but I feel great! It's nice to have my muscles feel a little sore and it's really nice to be exercising inside and out of the cold.
We have plans to switch up our workouts, too. Today, for instance, we learned a couple break dancing moves before we started aerobics (I also have an instructional DVD for break dancing). We're going to learn new ones every aerobics day. We're also going to check out other DVDs from the library. I really want to sweat with Richard Simmons and the Oldies. I don't know what kind of workout it will be, since I think I don't really fit the target demographic for those videos, but it would be fun to try it out.
I really want to find the work out videos we used to exercise with in middle school gym class. They involved a girl with a massive ponytail and two other people, who were apparently interchangeable--they were different people every time. I liked the videos because even though each of the instructors was doing the same workout, they were doing different intensities. So not only could I pick how strenuously I worked out, it was also really fun to watch whoever was doing the most intense version. They always looked slightly ridiculous.
Even though I love working out (and it's especially fun to work out with a good friend), I really miss having six-pack abs with little to no effort. Those were the days...

4 comments:

Lura said...

I've been missing my six pack lately, too! But, unlike you, I have yet to start working out. Maybe I need to start getting up early, too. But it's so hard to get up when it's still dark outside! Kudos to you.

mary lou said...

Hey, that workout video with the lady with the ponytail sounds familiar. I used to watch it on TV before there were such things as videos. Seems like it was when we lived in Nyssa in the 80s. I liked watching the different levels of effort too!

Jennifer said...

I was always jealous of your muscles, with little effort, I am sure they will come back quick.

Jade said...

A break dancing instructional video? That is so rad.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers