14 October 2008

Holiday Confusion

I've been sewing like a madwoman, trying to get Halloween costumes ready. They've turned out to be less time consuming than I anticipated, and I have 2.5 of the 3 ready. I'm pretty pleased with the results so far. Since David basically told me my previous ideas were no good (at least as kids' costumes), I had to come up with something new. Samantha will still be a pumpkin, Owen will be Dracula (he's been working on saying, "I vant to suck your blood!" and laughing menacingly. It's very entertaining, especially when Samantha tries to imitate the laugh), and Drew will be a mummy. Drew's has been the most time consuming of the costumes, and is the one that is only half finished. I'm sewing strips of fabric to a shirt and pants, rather than just wrap Drew up on Halloween. This way, he'll be able to use the toilet without unwrapping the entire costume.
When I come up for air from sewing, I'm greeted by a ton of snow (it snowed four or five inches on Sunday morning) and the smell of wood-burning fireplaces wafts around the neighborhood. I actually got out my recipe box yesterday and started drooling over all the holiday ham and wassail recipes. Then I started singing Christmas carols and had to restrain myself from going out to the garage and bringing in all the decorations. Hopefully I can refrain until after Thanksgiving; I have rules about keeping the Christmas decorations in boxes until then.*
*My friend and I used to be so adamant about this: we had a neighbor put their lights up about two weeks before Thanksgiving (which is fine if you want to get them up before the weather gets bad, but you're not supposed to actually turn them on). We were so offended we went and taped paper hand-turkeys all over their house.

3 comments:

Lura said...

I've been singing Christmas carols, too! (Though we didn't get as much snow as you.) I also stick to the rule of no Christmas decor until after Thanksgiving (well, technically after Thanksgiving dinner... once the dishes are done, I pull out the tree!). I also like to take it down once New Year's day is over. It bothers me when people keep turning on their Christmas lights in February.

Anyway, those costumes sound cute! My boys have thier hearts set on pumpkins, so that's what I'm making for them. I'm amazed you've gotten so far already! I bought the materials, but haven't started anything yet. Good luck with Drew's costume!

Nurse Heidi said...

"This way, he'll be able to use the toilet without unwrapping the entire costume." Smart mom.

Katie is going to be a pumpkin, because we happen to have a very cute pumpkin costume from when Rachel was a baby. I was a lazy slacker and bought the big kids their costumes. You're rockin' the domestic goddessness!

Unknown said...

That is too cute. I can't wait to see pictures.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers