08 October 2008

The Best Kind of Day

I had a lot of fun today. Maybe it was because I actually got some things done around my house. I scoured the bathroom that I'd been neglecting for a while; it was especially icky because Drew poured half a bottle of shampoo into the tub and I didn't have time to deal with it right away so it just sat there for days. Made the place smell real mango-ey, though.
I cleaned the boys' room, which always seems to be strewn with toys, clothes and blankets no matter what I do. Normally I'd have the boys clean it up themselves, but I was going on a tear and just got in there and took care of it. The boys helped by entertaining Samantha.
I also folded a ton of laundry that had been sitting around for almost a week. Owen even offered to help, which was really nice. His version of help is different than mine, but I want him to offer again in the future (many times, in fact) so I showed him how to fold washcloths. He didn't really get it and I ended up refolding them when he wasn't looking, but he was really proud of himself. Then he helped me put them all away. I told him, "Good job," to which he replied, "You're welcome." He does that a lot lately--says "you're welcome" when I give him any kind of praise. It makes me laugh.
The very best part of today, though, was that while I was doing all this cleaning, Drew and Owen were behaving! They played so nicely with Samantha, and they didn't bicker with each other at all. And, they didn't make a ton of other messes while I was cleaning the existing ones.
Here is a snippet of a Drew and Owen conversation I overheard while I was cleaning today:
Owen: Get in the boat, Drew! Get in the boat!
Drew: I'm scared of the monster on the boat!
Owen: I get scared too, sometimes.

3 comments:

Lura said...

I would have to agree that those kind of days are great. I love getting housework done (especially things that have been neglected for a while), and it makes it even better when the kids play nicely together while you do it! We could all use more days like that.

Unknown said...

Got to love those days. It seems like I am chasing my tail with cleaning. I keep ending up where I started sometimes. Evie is at the age where she wants to help also and I haven't got used to it yet.

Jennifer said...

Ashlyn loves to help also, it's hard to be patient, but I don't want to discourage her, becasue someday it really will be helpful.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers