07 April 2008

Who Will Clean For The Cleaning Lady?

I've been working to earn some extra cash during the past week. David says if I make the money to pay for it, we can go see Jim Gaffigan in September. I realize September is many moons away, but I gotta get my tickets before it's too late. I've been waiting for this event for a long time.
Some friends at church manage various apartment complexes around town, and when they have a tenant move out, they offer me the opportunity to clean it up before the new people move in. When I first heard about the jobs I was a little apprehensive. I'd heard a few horror stories from my cousins who grew up cleaning apartments for their dad. But the two places I've cleaned so far weren't too bad.
I also scored a job to clean up the in laws' rental. It was the house David and his siblings grew up in, so it was kind of fun to get a visual to go with all the stories he's told me. And he wasn't exaggerating when he said his room was the tiniest room in the house.
I spent a lot of time cleaning the rental. I rented a carpet shampooer and spent almost six hours shampooing all the carpets. Then I spent another three or four hours cleaning cobwebs out from between the storm windows. I guess the tenants hadn't found it a necessary task in the years that they lived there. But who am I to talk? We've lived in our house almost three years and I've cleaned inside and out of our storm windows exactly once. Last Fall, it was. I do plan on cleaning them again this Spring, though, before I put the screens back on. We'll see if that actually happens.
I had a minor breakdown today regarding the messiness that is my house. I had busy week last week, running from cleaning to soccer then more cleaning then to cleaning a different place. In all of this I had time to make messes in my house, but not to clean them. I made meals, but never got around to emptying and reloading the dishwasher. I washed and dried a few loads of laundry, but never got around to folding and putting it away. (How do all you working moms out there do it??) So today was a busy day for all that. Kinda makes me want to spend my money on having someone else clean my house.

3 comments:

Adam ....with Nicole and Rainny said...

Jim Gaffigan! Ha!

I've downloaded (illegally) all of his stuff since I've been over here in the illegal downloading capital of the universe.

He is number one in my book, with Regan, Oswalt (little bit vulgar), and a couple others tied for second. There's a fella' by the name of Zach Galifianakis who I like lately, too. Any other suggestions??

Sabrina said...

Oh, man, I can totally relate to the messy house frustration. I have been saying for years, that when we're rich and famous, I'm hiring a cleaning lady! The problem is, can I hire the cleaning lady to pick up toys and put away junk? I even spend a fair amount of time cleaning up each day, and you'd never know it. So frustrating! I wonder who those cousins cleaning up their dad's gross apartments would be...? :o)

Anonymous said...

Heathie,

I don't have small kids anymore, but boy can I relate to the messy house thing. We are in the throes of spring cleaning here at our house and it is disgusting just how long it is taking because I work 40 hour weeks, then when I come home there always seems to be something more pressing, or I am too tired to think about heavy cleaning. Before, when I didn't work, I would take a week each spring and clean the whole house. For one week out of the year my house would be tore up, but now it is more like weeks going into months that my house seems tore up.

Good for you being able to work to pay for the tickets. What a sense of accomplishment. I've never heard of the fellow, so I will follow the link and see what he is about.

I haven't been around much at all. It seems the nights I can finally make it to the computer, my son is home and using it. He is downloading music and loading it on he and his sister's IPODs and that is sooo very important, you know! I do enjoy hearing from you though and hope one day to be a better blogging buddy again!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers