22 April 2008

Isn't It The Thought That Counts?

Well, David's birthday didn't quite go as planned. I ended up cleaning an apartment instead of decorating a birthday cake, so the David's cake ended up a boring double-layer cake that said simply, "Happy Birthday, David! 30" It had 30 candles on it which almost set off the smoke alarm when he blew 'em out.
Jackpot was only slightly disappointing; the slots just didn't pay like they do in Vegas, the prime rib was way too rare. But I did win five bucks at the Roulette wheel, and five bucks playing three-card poker so it was fun anyway. And there's nothing disappointing about a day and a half without the kiddos.
Drew and Owen had a lot of fun staying at my dad's. He has a farm with some sheep, donkeys, horses and llamas. The boys got to go out and help my step mom bring the sheep in from the pasture. They loved that. They also loved feeding the animals and petting the horses and donkeys.
Samantha didn't do quite as well, at least at first. She was kind of scared of my dad (he's got a big ol' beard) at first. He won her over by feeding her a jar of mooshed up veggies, but as soon as she figured out that we were leaving her, she wasn't as interested in eating. I was cracking up every time she would take a bite of food, glance warily at my dad, then look up at me and cry--peas and carrots falling out of her mouth--then she'd stop crying long enough to take another bite of food and start the cycle over again. By the end of her stay, though, she was mostly calm and if she did get riled up, my dad was the only one who could get her to settle down.
So all in all, everyone had a good time, and my dad and step mom even thanked us for letting them watch our kids. I of course told them, "Any time!"

2 comments:

Kadee said...

I'm still jealous of anyone who can take off on a vacation without their kids. Too bad my family lives across the country.

Anonymous said...

I also am jealous, Thayne has a hard time leaving Ashlyn for a couple hours so we can go on a date, which is why we only go every few months.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers