17 April 2008

Salutations All Around

There's lots of cool stuff going on this week. Here's a quick run-down:
Congratulations go out to my sister in law, Dr. Ace (you really need to update your blog--or get a new one or something. I miss your funny stories)! She passed her exams and got the big dissertation finished and now is a PhD in the exciting field of History! (I promise there is no sarcasm to be read into that statement; I really do enjoy History.) Now all you have to do, Ace, is get a job at a university somewhere awesome so we can go visit! Not that Pullman isn't awesome...
Happy Birthday to my dear hubby David! He is no longer in his 20s. I decided not to dedicate an entire post to his birthday, 'cause I didn't think he'd appreciate it. I still need to make his cake and get his presents, so I'll post pictures about all that later. I'm just that certain that the cake will be amazing.
We're going to Jackpot, NV, to play a little blackjack and eat a little (0r a lot of) prime rib. And my dear old dad is watching the kiddies, so I don't have to hang out in the hotel room most of the time like I did last time we went to Jackpot. Yippee!
I was going to do a big long post about the Jimmy Eat World concert that David took me to, but I never got around to it, so I'll just do a quick summary:
A couple weeks ago, I was sitting on the couch just folding laundry and watching the ever-awesome "What Not to Wear." David came home from the gym and other various errands and said, "I have a present for you." I have to admit the first image that popped into my mind was a big ol' diamond or something equally sparkly. I got all giddy: "Really? What is it? What is it?" He pulled out of his pocket two tickets. I flipped them over and there it was: Featuring JIMMY EAT WORLD with Paramore. Then I got really giddy. Jimmy Eat World is one of my all-time favorite bands, and I hadn't seen them in concert for oh, so long.
The concert was fantastic. Dear and the Headlights was the opening band. They had a good sound, but we couldn't understand their lyrics because of the way the equipment was set up.
Paramore is a fun band; the lead singer is absolutely tiny--maybe five feet tall on a tall day. She had so much energy. She was a little fireball up there with her red hair floppin' around. And she kept spitting on the stage, which I thought was weird but understandable. I think most of the fans were there to see Paramore. I'd never even heard of them before a few weeks ago, but they sure are popular among high school students and young college students.
Jimmy Eat World put on a great show, as usual. I'm not huge into the music scene these days, so I hadn't heard much of their new stuff. It's good stuff, of course, but I was also glad to hear my old favorites, too.
It turned out to be a fun evening, and I decided maybe I'm not getting so old, after all...

3 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

I'll be anxiously awaiting the pictures of the cake! Happy Birthday Dave.

I guess I am old, because I've never heard of either of those bands. I'm sure Alan knows about them...I just don't branch out much : P.

abby's photo shoppe said...

I can't wait to see the cake! Tell Dave we said Hi and happy bday! Wish we were closer (as always). And I'm excited that you were able to go to the concert. How fun. Later,
Abbalicious

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of any of the bands you named. I did click to their website to see if I knew any songs or anything. I didn't. Sounds like you had fun...Fun is good.

It's nice your dad can take care of your kiddos so you and your husband can have a break like that. Enjoy your food. Sounds like you like beef. :) I don't even know how to play black jack, maybe I should learn...huh?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers