21 December 2007

Armpits! And Other Stuff

Drew was missing this morning. I thought I heard him downstairs but when I looked, he wasn't there. So I checked upstairs. I found him in my bathroom, brushing his teeth with his dad's toothbrush. I grabbed him and said, "This stuff is off limits. Let's go downstairs." He grudgingly complied, and on the way out the door yelled, "Armpits!" As is not uncommon, I had no idea what he was talking about. I just thought he was naming random body parts. He asked me to carry him downstairs, so I did. He smelled a little funny. After I got him downstairs, I went back and did a little sleuthing around/damage control in my bathroom and discovered David's deodorant sitting on the counter without the lid on. It didn't take me long from there to put all the pieces together. Drew had put on his dad's deodorant. I had no idea he was so hygiene conscious. Hope it's a trait that sticks.


A cousin on David's side has twins. Her boys are ten months old or so. We told her we were going to send her Drew and Owen's old coats to save her some money. The coats are in really good shape, except for the zipper on one coat broke. I thought, "No problem. I can just replace the zipper. Easy-peasy." Well, I unpicked the stitching and took the broken zipper off, only slightly damaging a minor piece of fabric in the process. I got a new zipper but discovered as I went to sew it on, that it didn't separate at the bottom. Ok, whatever. I just went to the store and got another zipper, making sure to get the right one this time. I started sewing the zipper. Something was wrong. I realised that I had forgotten to adjust the stitch length. But there was more than that. I felt like I was in over my head. I just couldn't bring myself to keep trying, feeling I really lacked the skills to do it right. So I decided to take the coat to a place that does alterations and repairs on clothing. I wasn't sure how much it would cost, and I got really worried when I saw the following sign:


Prices per Hour:

$50.00
If we do it for you.

$100.00
If you watch us do it.

$125.00
If you help.

$150.00
If you tried to do it yourself and couldn’t.
Luckily, it was just a "cutesy" little gimmick. Cause the coat I handed to the gal at the shop was in bad shape after I had tried to fix it myself and couldn't. In reality, it will only cost me about 12 bucks to get the coat fixed. Unfortunately, it won't be ready in time for us to ship it for her (her kiddos are getting cold!), so I think we're just going to get her a new coat and give her the other old one. Kind of a Christmas present.

No comments:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers