18 December 2007

Everything Is Exciting All the Time!

We received a Christmas card and letter from my brother and his family. It totally made my day. I was just rereading it as I sipped my Powerade (can't seem to kick that habit; but I guess it's not the worst thing I could be drinking), and I love the part where my niece tells her dad, "Oh, Dad! Everything's exciting all the time!" I can just picture her cute little face glowing as she says that. And it pretty much mirrors how things have been going for me. Especially during the holidays.
There are so many exciting secrets to be kept! David got me some stuff and had my sister in law wrap it (he "doesn't know how," even though I show him every year). He hasn't put any of it under the tree yet, the bag of gifts is just sitting here next to the computer, taunting me. But that's not even the most exciting part. I'm excited for people to open what I got them; I know they're just going to love it*!
I was getting all my "Santa" stuff ready for the kids. I don't think they're old enough to understand, even though they know Santa when they see him. But I got so giddy wrapping their little presents (well, we actually just got them one big one to share--another bonus of their youth; they don't expect presents, they're just grateful to get them). I also got giddy wrapping the present I (I mean, Santa) got for our family. It's a board game, which David found out despite my attempts to keep it hidden, but he doesn't know which one.
We also try to do something for Secret Santa every year; this year we were able to get a car seat for a little 1 month old. It's not much compared to all the people out there who need help, but hopefully it makes a difference for that family. It broke my heart when I saw the tag for the baby that needs a car seat. I can't imagine not having enough for the absolute essentials. So that was the one we chose. I don't say this to toot my own horn or anything. It's just important for me to be able to do something for someone else because so many people did things for my family during my growing up years that made our Christmases brighter, and now I'm in a position to pay it forward, so to speak. I'm grateful that it's something that David considers important, too.
I'm looking forward to all the relatives coming to visit, too. My sister is coming on Friday, and my sister in law is coming on Sunday, and we're having a dinner party on Monday, and it's gonna be great! It's too much excitement! I think it's what's been keeping me awake so late these days. But I love it!
*My dear, dear father in law loves to get presents for people, but he'll never ask what you want, and even if you tell him, he still probably won't get it for you. I don't always ask what people want, because I try to get things for people based on what they've told me previously that they like. That way, they're still surprised. I don't know what the basis is for some of the things I've received from my in-laws. There's a running joke in the family that stems from a few instances where he bought a gift for someone well in advance of the occasion and said, "I got your birthday [or whatever occasion] present for you. You're gonna love it!" The only thing is, he's usually kind of wrong. Though, to be fair, though I didn't love the apron-with-grill-tools they gave me for my birthday, it will come in handy. So now when we get surprise gifts for each other we'll say, "I got your present. You're gonna love it!" It keeps things suspenseful; will I love it?...

3 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Oh your enthusiasm is infectious! Thanks - I needed a boost.

Laura H. Craner said...

Christmas has left me a little grinchy this year. The kids have been sick (off and on, but mostly on) since Thanksgiving and the waiting for presents is giving Naomi anxiety attacks. Christmas is more fun when you're not the one in charge! But, when I think about how much people will enjoy the stuff we're giving it'll be worth it. Oh, the other thing that makes me grinchy is that we are so far from all our family! I'm so jealous you are having a big dinner party! I wish we could be there! Your post is a bit of holiday cheer, though :)

Laura H. Craner said...

P.S. I recently signed up for a blogger account and "lala" is my nickname. . .it's what my sister's kids call me. Sorry if it's confusing.

Laura

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers