13 October 2007

I'm A Sap

I've always told myself (always as in ever since I've become a mom) that when it's time for my kids to start their school I will be rejoicing, and I won't be the mom who turns into a soggy mess of tears and running mascara. I still have a few years before the first day of school, but I suspect my resolve was slightly shaken today.
We went to the celebration of Marshall Public Library's 100th birthday. It was a lot of fun. They had different events throughout the day. The one we made it in time to see was a performing bull and his friend a performing donkey. The boys, animal lovers that they are, thought it was really cool. There was also free cotton candy, a trolley that went to the Union Pacific Railroad depot, and a little train made by McKee's pet store.
That little train is the reason I question my ability to remain tearless when the kiddies start school. We put the boys in their respective train cars and sat back to watch them ride around the parking lot. As I sat on the curb watching, I noticed how excited Drew looked and how proud of himself Owen looked. For some reason, I got all teary-eyed (and I'm getting that way now, as I'm typing). It was a weird feeling to see my kids looking so "big."
So now, as I analyze my feelings, I'm thinking that parents don't necessarily cry because they're sad to see their kids go (I think the reason I would rejoice is because I'd hopefully get a few quiet hours to get stuff done while my kids are at school), but because they are proud of their kids and the kids' increased independence. That's how I felt, anyway, as I watched my little boys ride around that parking lot without me, enjoying themselves thoroughly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't stop with kindergarten--I'm teary-eyed now just reading about my daughter experiencing some of the lovely feelings of motherhood...

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers