26 April 2007

Like Wearing the Same Dress As Someone Else at Prom

... That's actually never happened to me (I only went to one boy's choice school dance), but I think I know now what it may feel like.

I made my little (well, it was big) Candyland Cake for the cake auction fund raiser at church. I was so proud of it, even though I borrowed the idea from Parents Magazine; it took a long time to make and there was a lot of tempting candy to have to resist, and it just looked really good. I got it over to the church in one piece, and set it down on the table right next to another Candyland Cake. I was a little bit sad. They started the auctioning on the cakes, and some really good looking cakes were going for $25-$70. They got to mine; it went for $25. That wasn't too bad; at least it sold for more money than I put into it. When they got to the other Candyland cake, it sold for $50. I don't mean to be prideful, but I think mine looked a little bit better (although the other may have had slightly more candy on top, if you can imagine that). But the bishop's wife made the other one, and I guess more people know her than me, so they were more inclined to bid for hers. But the whole thing kind of bummed me out a little*. So next year, I'm going to make the most decadent, tasty and aesthetically pleasing cake these people have ever seen. And hopefully it will be the only one like it.



*I know it doesn't really matter, because all the proceeds went for the youth, but still... I at least wanted to be original. I guess you can only be original to a certain extent when you get your idea out of a magazine that so many people read.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh bummer, all that work and thinking you found the perfect cake to duplicate too! Then the bishop's wife has the same thoughts! I, too, am like you, I always seem to be a day late and a dollar short with my ideas. At least you can look at the bigger picture and see it isn't about you, but about money for the kids. Good for you! Maybe you could read up on Martha Stewart's cakes she is into and make one of her's . I bet you could get some inspiration from her!

You can tell in the photo of your cake that you did some really hard work on it and I am glad it went for more money then what you had put into it! That's a blessing and you know how I am about counting the blessings! :)

abby's photo shoppe said...

HEATHER!!! Are you kidding me. That cake is fabulous. I will have to share a pic of the cake I made for Brigham's first birthday. I tried sooooo hard to make an AWESOME KICK ASS CAKE. Ummmm, not so much. For starters... Doodlebop cake. Based on that decision I should have stopped right there. Then I decided that since Brig loved banana bread a carrot cake would fall into that category-ish cause of the similar flavor.... And then i wanted to "decorate" it only I used cream cheese frosting. Just for future notice... it's not for decorating as much as it is JUST for flavor. I made a HUGE Moe Doodle (think scary something). Out of some really wimpy frosting and it was so mush and thick that Brigham took a bite, got some on his hands and GAGGED. It was that good.
Honestly, by the looks of your cake I bet you kicked your bishop's wife's arssssss. Not that you were competing or anything. Good job Heathie. I'm proud of you. Abba

abby's photo shoppe said...

mushY and thick... oops

That Chick Over There said...

*drool*

That cakes looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Heather! That cake is wonderful! Wow! I'm impressed! Don't give up making fantastic cakes--I think you've found another one of your talents...

(I'm sure that having three kids to make birthday cakes for will give you plenty of practice)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers