08 April 2007

Happy Easter!

I saw a link on msn.com about how the Bible and the Atonement of Christ became connected with bunnies and eggs. Go look at it... Santa Clause at Christmas I can understand because of the kindness and the giving and things, but I never quite made the connection between Jesus and a rabbit who brings candy. The video shed some light on it.
The Easter Bunny didn't bring us any candy today. I think he decided that since Drew and Owen are too young to know any better, he'll just wait until the candy is 50% off and bring some on Monday. Smart Bunny! He knows that the parents are going to eat most of it anyway, and this way they can have twice as much!
On a more Easter-y note, church was really good today. It usually is, but I especially like the holidays where we get to sing the hymns that specifically focus on Jesus and on His life and His sacrifice and His resurrection. I have a lot of favorite hymns, but there is one line that is my absolute favorite out of all the lines of all the hymns: "Thou Son of God who lived for us, Then died on Calvary."* I like it because it reminds me that Jesus lived a perfect life so He could qualify to be our Savior. It had to be a perfect atonement and it was.
Nursery was really good, too. The gal that works in there with me is so great. She prepared an Easter lesson that was so good. It's so hard to get the kids to sit still; they're only two-years-old, on average... But I think they still get something out of the lessons and every so often one of the kids will surprise us with an answer to a question, and they all recognize Jesus when they see a picture of Him. So it's not all for naught.
I hope everyone had a good Easter. It only comes once a year, but like with Christmas, the true meaning should be in our hearts always.
*The hymn is called "As Now We Take the Sacrament." Words by Lee Tom Perry, Music by Daniel Lyman Carter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post-thanks for sharing your thoughts. The video about Easter traditions was interesting. A lady at my church said that she puts an empty plastic egg in with the rest to symbolize Christ's empty tomb. When her daughter said the Easter bunny forgot to fill one egg, the mother explained, and the girl said "Oh, now I get it!"

Anonymous said...

Hi Heathie, Nice post. You know, music speaks to me when nothing else does. My most favorite song is "There is a Redeemer and I posted it on my blog around Easter as well. The last verse, "When I stand in Glory...." just imagining, standing in glory sends chills up and down my spine. So interesting what music can do for your soul.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers