24 January 2007

Oh, The Trauma (and There's Lots)!

My poor, poor boys. It has been a rough couple of days for Drew and Owen. I feel like there is more to it, but I think the injuries sustained the last two days have made for some very cranky boys. Here's the run-down:
Yesterday morning: Drew and Owen learning "open and close" with their playroom door. I used to have a little stuffed toy hanging at the top of the door so they couldn't close it all the way, but the toy got lost. I wasn't prepared for yesterday's incident, though, even if we still had the toy hanging up. Drew decided the little space on the hinge side of the door would be a good place to put his hand, and Owen decided it would be a good idea to shut the door while Drew's hand was there. I've never heard Drew scream so loud in his life (and he's had some loud ones)! His little pinkie finger and his ring finger were pretty beat-up. Luckily, they weren't broken--they didn't even swell up. I felt so horrible!
5 Minutes After the Door Incident: Owen was sitting at the bottom of the stairs and decided the was going to be a little brave and stand up on the bottom step. His balance isn't as good as he thinks, and even after repeated warnings from Mommy, he still had to give it a try. The resulting backward somersault didn't actually hurt him, but I think it scared him quite a bit so he let out a big ol' scream that came close to rivaling Drew's. But happily, it was nothing a hug couldn't fix.
At Breakfast This Morning: Drew and Owen love oatmeal, but they don't like me to spoon feed them. The problem is, they are much less than proficient at using spoons themselves. They usually poke the oatmeal with their spoon, then dig right in with their bare hands and smear it into their mouths (and all over their faces, and sometimes in their hair and on their shirts). Today's oatmeal was blueberry flavored. Yum! After I cooked it (hooray, microwaveable oatmeal), I put it in the freezer for a few minutes to let it cool down. I then put a bowl on each boy's tray, gave them each a spoon, and said, "Ok. Fold your arms; we'll bless the food." Drew always finds this hilarious for some reason. "Look at Mom! She's talking with her eyes closed!" Just as I was about to pray for safety througout the day, Owen lets out yet another blood-curdling scream. I opened my eyes, and there he was with his fist in his oatmeal, which hadn't cooled in the freezer like I thought it had. So I wiped all the oatmeal off his hand, whisked him out of his chair and ran some cold water on his hand. I gave him a cup of cold water to dunk his hand in while he finished his breakfast. He liked that; it was nice and messy.
Bathtime, After Breakfast: Drew thought he'd better empty his bladder before he got in the tub (wise choice), but he decided to wait until after I took his diaper off (not so smart). So I had to throw the bathmat in the wash; I guess it was time, anyway. The bath itself was uneventful but fun. After washing Owen's hair, I got him out and put his diaper on, and let him go play while I washed Drew's hair. I didn't realize that the laundry room door was open, giving Owen full access to the cat litter. I grabbed a sudsy Drew and put him on a towel on the floor; went and grabbed Owen, put him in the playroom; went back to Drew who, by now, was in the hall; put him back in the tub, finished rinsing his hair; got him out, dried him off, put his diaper on. At this time, Owen came back into the bathroom, unaware that the floor was covered in puddles (just water!--Drew only hit the bathmat), and fell flat on his back. After some more slipping and sliding, I finally got both kids out of the bathroom and into the playroom to get dressed, but I was too exhausted, so they played in just diapers for a while.
There were no more injuries today, but everyone was very grumpy. And I'm still exhausted. I think we might be getting cabin fever. Going to the gym should help some, but I really can't wait til spring!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Heather! I am sorry your poor little boys got hurt but thankfully not to bad! I hear ya on the cabin fever. I've got it so bad I can taste it... I don't know what flavor it is really but I would say it ranges in the bitter bitter bitter family. We'll talk later!
Abba

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers