27 November 2006

Mine Mine Mine!

I had the privilege to substitute in the nursery in church yesterday. It was pretty wild. There were about 9 kids (11 including mine) and only two adults. I think every single kid in there cried at least once. And by cry, I mean scream and have a fit. My lovely kids, of course, cried a lot more than once. In their defense, they were really tired and I think they were a little scared of the "big kids" (the kids in nursery range from 18 months to 3 years old). Drew and Owen had their toys stolen, and their eyes poked. I felt a little bad subjecting them to all that, so I had David come in and take them to class with him. I guess they're just not ready for nursery. But in 5 months, they definitely will be and they will go, and they will like it.
I have been thinking for a while that I need to start watching what I say around the boys. I guess I should just watch what I say in general, but for now I'll just work on being more careful in front of Drew and Owen. Anyway. These thoughts of mine were confirmed by a little something I witnessed in nursery. Suzy and Sally* were coloring and Suzy asked me to write the ABC's on her paper. I was happy to oblige. While I was writing, Sally told me that she knows how to write the letter 'M' and some other letters. She was happily rattling off a list of letters, but the more she said, the madder Suzy got until finally Suzy yelled, "Shut up! Just shut up!" I was a little surprised and appalled at the same time (I've never really liked that phrase). I told Suzy, "We don't say 'shut up;' it's not polite. What would be a better way to ask Sally to stop talking?" To which Suzy innocently replied, "Daddy says 'shut up.'" I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing and I still giggle at the thought of the whole "shut up" outburst. But I just hope my kids don't say something less-than-favorabe and tell people at church they heard it from me.
*Names have been changed in case by some odd stroke of luck their parents are reading my blog...

No comments:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers