16 September 2008

A Turn For The Weirder!

Something has changed at our house in the last few days. I don't know what it is, but I want to figure it out so I can try to change it back. Drew and Owen have been driving me absolutely crazy lately. (Not like that's anything new, but it's been worse than usual the last week or so.)
Drew had actually been behaving better for a while; he'd been saying "please" and "thank you," and had been quite obedient. Owen has always been naturally polite and obedient, with only a few meltdowns here and there.
Suddenly, both boys are constantly bickering with each other, and throwing fits when I tell them to do something.
Take this morning for instance: David called me from work just as we were finishing up breakfast. I went to check the stock reports on the computer for him, and when I got back upstairs the boys had finished eating and were riding around the kitchen on their Wiggle Riders. Owen had cleared his bowl without being told. Drew's bowl was still on the table so I told him, "Drew. Please take your bowl to the sink." He flipped out, started yelling and running around. I told him to go to his room which brought on the wailing and gnashing of teeth. He crashed his Rider into Owen, so I grabbed him and dragged him to his room. I closed the door behind me and waited for about two minutes for the tantrum to die down. When Drew settled down, I went in and talked to him about why I sent him to his room. I thought our little chat took care of the problem, but I was mistaken. Drew went back into the kitchen and proceeded to not take his bowl to the sink, so I told him to go back to his room. He spent the next half-hour there, because it was apparently more pleasant than taking one little bowl to the sink. Eventually, he took the bowl, but I don't know why it was such a big deal.

Here's Drew sulking after I sent him to his room the second time. He kept scooting closer and closer to the hallway, making sure he was still technically in his room. I've decided one of the most difficult things about parenting is keeping a straight face while doling out discipline. Really, I just wanted to bust out laughing.
Another instance of the craziness happened this afternoon when I was getting ready for my soccer game. I was brushing my teeth when I heard Owen screech, "Give it back, Drewbie!" I looked in on them to see what Drew had taken. Neither kid had anything in their hands. I told Drew, "If you took something from Owen you need to give it back." He made a motion with his hand like he was giving Owen something. Owen made a motion with his hand like he was taking something from Drew. He then put his hand up to his ear and said, "Hello, Grandpa. Drew took my phone." Those crazy kids were fighting over an imaginary phone! What will be next?!

No comments:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers