26 September 2008

Maybe You'd Rather Not Know

Here's what's been keeping me busy lately:
I was wiping my kitchen counters the other day when I noticed the edges of my stove looking a little bit grungy. I thought to myself, "Self, you haven't cleaned behind the stove in a while (like, since you moved into this house three years ago); wonder what it looks like back there?"
Yikes. It turned into a huge time-sucking project, but after it was all clean the kitchen felt brighter. I found that strange considering the spaces under and behind the stove are hidden--you know, behind the stove...
Left: Before. Ew! These are what the stove look like in most of the apartments I clean.*
Right: After. Much better!

Left: Before. Where did all this stuff come from? I found two Chapsticks, an AA-battery (that still works!), and three plastic baby spoons.**
Right: After. I didn't realize the grout in my kitchen used to be lighter. I think it's a cement sort of grout. Under the stove it's still a light grey, but on the main-traffic area of the floor it's pretty dark. I scrubbed the floor (Cinderella style: on my hands and knees with a brush and bucket of suds) and couldn't get the grout any lighter so I guess it's stuck that way.

*Mostly just in the apartments of married people. In the bachelor apartments the stove and oven are almost always very clean. Not because they clean them better when they move out, but because they never used them to begin with.

**I had been wondering where those spoons went. I bought eight and was down to three. It's a pity I didn't find any sippy cup lids; for some strange reason I have fifteen cups and four lids. And I feel like I've looked every where. Haven't looked behind the fridge, though, which is going to be my next big project.


2 comments:

Kadee said...

Very brave of you to look behind the stove. Luckily we've moved every 2 years so we've either left a mess for the cleaning lady (sorry!) or cleaned it after only 2 years.

Nurse Heidi said...

There's a shelf way up high in our house that I never touched for 6 years. When it was time to paint in that room, dust bunnies the size of jack rabbits came down. Lovely. And the behind the stove cleaning? The only reason that's ever happened is because our stove keeps breaking down. So every time Alan pulls it out, we get grossed out and do some wiping up.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers