04 September 2008

My Three (And A Half) Year Plan

I did it. I applied for Idaho State University. I'm so nervous! I'm fairly certain I'll be accepted since I had good grades at Utah State and Utah Valley, but I'm nervous about keeping my grades up now that I have four distractions in my life (they are called David, Drew, Owen and Samantha).
I'm also nervous because my schedule is going to be the toughest I've ever had. I have to knock out two Chemistry classes, four Biology classes plus two labs to go with them, Math, Psychology, Communication (strangely enough, this Speech class is offered online...), and one or two Nutrition classes. The goal is to be finished with, or at least wrapping up, these classes by Spring of '10 so I can apply for the Dental Hygiene program. It'll take me four semesters, but I'll take a summer semester so I can be finished in just over a [calendar] year from when I start. It might mean a couple 18-credit semesters, which will be a big adjustment for me.
The last thing I'm nervous about is actually getting accepted to the program. Only about a third of the students who apply get accepted. But I'm going to study hard to make sure I'm one of them! Once I get all the prerequisites out of the way, it'll be just two years of Dental Hygiene courses and training, then I'll be ready to make money! I mean, uh, to help people take care of their teeth!

7 comments:

abby's photo shoppe said...

Good for you!!!! I am so proud. I will let you know that my little sister, Emily, got into the program and I know that you do need to really really keep those grades up. THat would be the key to getting into the program. And my sis also got several letters of recommendation from a local dentist that she was an assistant for. I hope that helps. I will ask her if there are any other tips to give you. Good luck and I know you'll do so well. I am so proud ofyou.
Abby

Marissa said...

That's great!! I need to finish school, and I admire you for taking the plunge!

Kadee said...

Good for you, Heather! I wish you
the best of luck!

Jennifer said...

Wow, you will be busy. Thayne didn't get into nursing the first time around, but he did the second. Hopefully you won't have to wait around for a year like we did.

Lura said...

You go, girl! 18 credits and 3 kids will be crazy times ten, but I wish you the best of luck.

Unknown said...

Awesome! I remember when you told me about this idea that is now becoming a reality. The speech class that is online will be great. You only have to go to campus 4 times for the speeches you have to give. Anyway, this overall plan sounds great, I know you can do it! Good luck.
Madeline

Nurse Heidi said...

GOOD FOR YOU!! I didn't know you were thinking of going back. You're plenty smart, and you'll do fine (as long as you can get your distractions to leave you alone long enough to get your homework done...)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers