01 February 2008

Hairy Ol' Me

I remember the first time I ever shaved my legs; I was in fourth grade. There was a girl in my class who seemed a little more mature than the rest of us, and she shaved her legs (and probably her moustache, too) so lots of the other girls in the class thought it would be cool to start too. My friend Sarah and I would have slumber parties during which we'd put on makeup, fix our hair and shave our legs. We were so grown up.
For some reason Sarah and I thought we had to keep the leg-shaving a secret, so I wore pants a lot that year. One night my mom was giving me a pedicure* when she discovered my lovely hairless legs. She didn't get mad. She just issued the following warning: "You'll have to keep this up, you know." I just laughed it off: "I know. I don't care. I like shaving." See, when I was nine years old, I had a hard time imagining being 25 (+1), having three kids and no extra time for things like shaving my legs. Or plucking my eyebrows (something else you have to keep up; no one warned me about that one).
So here I am all hairy. I guess I'd better take some time Saturday or Sunday night to shave and pluck because we're going to (da-da-DAAA!) Florida!! Hooray! We leave Monday morning and aren't coming back 'til the following Monday. I'm soooo excited, but a little nervous. The kids aren't coming with us. I have no doubt they'll be in good hands while we're gone, but I have this little anxiousness in the back of my head that says, "What if something happens to David and me?" I'm trying not to think about it too much.
Who knows if I'll be able to do another post between now and then; laundry beckons. So if you don't hear from me for a while, that's where I am.

3 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Hooo boy, I laughed out loud over the hairyness. I only manage to find time to reduce my own forest on Saturdays. I used to try to do it on Sundays, but I find that Sunday mornings are usually a mad dash to get us to church almost on time.

Have fun in Florida!! What a fabulous place to be at this time of year. I'm insanely jealous : )!

Anonymous said...

After recently discovering the joys and beauty of waxing, I will never go back to shaving. God bless the Day Spa in Pullman! No more razor burn, and that is five minutes back to me every morning!

Anonymous said...

4th grade for you, huh? That must mean that kindergarten was the first (and only) time I shaved my arm. Good thing you stopped me, or I'd have to be keeping that up :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers