08 September 2007

Since I'm Down Here...

I was upstairs doing my housewife-y duties; folding laundry and watching TV ;) when David called and asked me to check some things on the computer (some things being college football scores). I figured since I'm already down here, and Owen isn't here bugging me to watch the video of him jumping on the trampoline, I'd try to do a little updating on the ol' blog. This is probably the billionth time I've sat down this week, but I haven't gotten around to posting because I usually get just enough time to check my email and read friends' blogs before the boys come over and pester me. But it's nap time (yay!) so hopefully I can do some updates.
Drew's getting very chatty lately (well, more so than usual). He's been getting good at putting concepts together and putting them into words. A few weeks ago, when he woke up from his nap, he'd say "Go." Then he started saying, "Go car." Now, he says, "Go car ride." And when I ask him, "You'd like to go for a ride in the car?" he says, "I doooooo!" Don't know where he learned that, but it's funny.
Owen still doesn't talk as much, but every now-and-then, he'll say something to let me know the wheels are still turning. The other day, just out of the blue, he said, "Dad? Works!" He's figuring out that when Dad isn't around, he's somewhere else and not just not here. So now we're working on "Where does Dad work? On the train!" Maybe we'll have to take another tour of the train yard so they can put two and two together.
We went to visit my mom yesterday. She has a lot of stuff that kids find interesting, but are not allowed to play with. Every time I told Drew or Owen not to touch something, they would say, "Mama's!" (Mama = Grandma, Papa = Grandpa). I guess they're learning the concept of ownership a little. But they don't quite get it; when they sees something they want to play with, they say, "Mine!" even if it isn't really.
Day before yesterday, we went to the fair. It was lots of fun, except that Owen messed his diaper right before we got there, and I, mother-of-the-year that I am, had forgotten the diaper bag. We let Owen just sit in it for a while, and he didn't seem to care, but then it got too stinky and almost leaky, so David had to leave the fair and run to the nearest store for some diapers and wipes.
While we waited for David, we looked at the horses. The boys know that a horse says, "Neigh!" but they had never heard an actual whinny before. I don't think they realized how loud it could be, especially echoing off the stable walls. Their eyes got huge, and they got really excited. They each got to pet a pretty little mare that had her head through the fence. They loved that, too.
Other highlights of the fair included a hypnotist (the boys were more into the crowd than the hypnotist himself), a reptile exhibit (we got to pet a live alligator, and the boys loved looking at the snakes), a petting zoo (the boys didn't much appreciate the goats trying to climb into the stroller with them), cows, chickens (Drew had fun imitating the roosters--turns out he has a knack for it), and of course yummy food!
That's about all we've been up to lately; pretty uneventful. I feel like I'm in the waiting stage of my pregnancy, and it's getting kind of old. I have the date scheduled, so at least that takes the guess-work out of things (unless Baby comes early). But on the other hand, the weeks feel like they're crawling by!
I'm also into the Weird Dreams stage of pregnancy. Last night, I dreamt that I was at some kind of childbirth/mothering class, and they passed out cards that had different things we should do to take care of our baby, as well as what we should name the baby. My card had been filled out by David's grandma, who had decided I should name the baby Mozart after her favorite meerkat. My interpretation of the dream is that I've been watching too much Meerkat Manor. And also, I'm just a tiny bit worried 'cause we still haven't really settled on a name.
The other night, David and I played The Name Game. It goes like this: David suggests a name, I say "No." Or I might say "Ew! NO!" Or I might say, "Umm, that's not even a people-name. [Honestly. 'Mustard?!']" But there were actually a couple that we sort of agree on, so we'll see which one fits best when we actually meet the baby.
So I guess I'd better get back to my laundry and the Grand Slam championship on GSN. Happy Saturday!

2 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Yay! Glad to see you're still alive : ). I was starting to wonder since your blog was languishing.... Happy last few days of pregnancy to you, and may they speed by uneventfully.

abby's photo shoppe said...

I was tempted to call you because you hadn't blogged for a while. Not that there is any pressure, just that i wondered if you had complications or was on bed rest or something. It's the total worrier in me. Is the scheduled date the same as before? I think it is also Seth's dad's bday so we are tentatively planning on coming to see you guys when we come up. Hope all is well. Love the blog as always. And i'm rootin for mustard... JK
Abba

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers