09 September 2007

Boogie Woogie

So, when I was in the fifth grade, we had the kind of desk with a lid that flips up and you just stick all your stuff inside. They're great desks because they can get really full and messy and all your stuff doesn't fall out. Apparently, they are also great, in some fifth grade kids' minds, for hiding oneself while one picks one's nose. Really. There was a boy that sat not far from me who would lift up the lid of his desk under the guise of looking for a pencil or something and while he was down there, would go a-digging.
You may now be grossed out and wondering why I tell this story. Well, I was just reminded of this today while I was in the nursery watching the little kiddies play. Here's why: Owen likes to take the bucket of blocks, lift it clear above his head, and dump all the blocks onto himself. Today, after dumping out all the blocks, he did something new with the bucket. He played peek-a-boo. Then, he stealthily put his hand under the bucket (while it was still on his head) and started picking his nose! It was so yucky! And I caught him at it twice!
At the same time, it made me laugh, because I didn't realize he was old enough or aware enough to know that he couldn't just pick out in the open. He had to be sneaky. I mean, he knows I don't like him to put his finger in his nose, and sometimes while he's doing it, he'll say, "No, no!" But he's not even two years old yet. Is he really old enough to be sneaky?
Maybe so; Drew tries to be sneaky, too. He seems to be magnetized when it comes to the computer--he's just drawn to it. And he knows it's off limits for him. So when he moves toward it, he'll actually tip-toe, all the while looking over his shoulder with little smirk on his face as if to say, "Well, are you going to stop me?" Oi. My crazy, crazy kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is SO hilarious! I think babies in general have GOT to be a lot smarter than we think... you're getting close to your due date aren't you? How are you feeling?? Did you decide on a name? I can't wait to see a picture of your little girl!

Kadee said...

You're lucky he hasn't started eating those well sought after boogies yet. My sister's sunbeam teacher calls them handy-snacks (in case you weren't grossed out enough)!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers