01 July 2007

It's Yucky! I'm Sick! I'm Gonna Puke!

I made Thai food tonight. This is the first time I've attempted a real Thai recipe. I think it turned out really well. I didn't have any Thai basil, which is actually a main part of the recipe, but I discovered that cilantro has a quite similar flavor. There's just a little pizazz that sweet basil doesn't have. I felt a little bad that Lura couldn't eat it. She said it was good, but that it was too spicy. I had no idea how spicy it would turn out, but I guessed that the recipe would be pretty authentic based on the website I got it from. So I actually put less peppers in than were called for and it was still quite spicy. Andy and Westley liked it, though. Westley kept wiping his tongue with his hand as though to wipe the spice off, but he kept saying, "I need more!"
Westley wasn't a huge fan of the dessert I made, though. I made sweet sticky rice with mango. I had neglected to buy an extra mango, so there wasn't quite enough to go around. Westley didn't want to try the mango (even though yesterday when he saw it he said, "I need to eat it. I need to eat the red and yellow apple"), so he and I had our rice with nectarines. I suppose I should say I had my rice with a nectarine. Westley just ate a nectarine. Lura got him to taste the rice, but he quickly spit it out and looked like he was really gagging. He kept threatening to puke but, thankfully, never did. Drew and Owen liked the rice, but not so much the nectarine. Maybe the nectarine was too tart after the sweet rice. Like drinking a glass of orange juice after eating a bowl of Froot Loops.
Over all, I was quite pleased with my meal tonight. It reminded me of Thailand, minus the MSG. My baby really liked it, too. She got pretty hyper and did a few jumping jacks while I was eating the dessert. So I guess she'll come out liking Thai food (or she'll come out a sugar-holic).
Here are links for the recipes I made tonight (they really are tasty, regardless of what a two-year-old says about sweet rice):
Sweet Sticky Rice and Mango:
Thai Pork with Fresh Basil:

3 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Mmm, I've been craving curry for a few weeks. Indian or Thai - I'm not picky : ). But since I rarely keep my dinner down I figure I'll wait until after the baby comes and send Alan out to get me some good takeout so that I can enjoy actually tasty food while I'm in the hospital (and give babykins and interesting milk flavor...).

Anonymous said...

Yummy yummy yummy!!! A Thai friend of our who works at a Thai restaurant here and who the missionaries have been talking to made me some very authentic sticky rice with mangoes the other day and I just about died. He did a great job, and it really took me back to Thailand. Next week, I get to do a presentation at Youth Conference about my mission and I decided to order some more of that sticky rice for all the kids in my class. Don't you just miss Thailand? I've been thinking WAY too much about it lately. But hey, I'm so glad you found a place that has authentic Thai recipes! Now I just need to make sure I can find all the ingredients!

Ellie said...

Wow, it sounds spicy hot! I know you really like/enjoy that kind of food and I don't think I ever did ask you what your connection is to Thailand. I remember you once said you consider it your second home, if I remember correctly.

When my daughter was in Thailand a few weeks ago she had emailed us and said the food was so spicy she wasn't able to eat much and she was actually sort of sick, from it too. But her system is likely all messed up from all the different countries/foods/etc.

I do love new foods, but I think I will pass on this recipe. lol I like flavor in my food, but not hot/spicy foods.

And your baby, no wonder she was doing jumping jacks. lol

I liked nurse heidi's comment about giving her babykins and interesting milk flavor. Probably a stomach ache too! lol

You girls are funny...you really are!

Blessings,

Ellie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers