25 July 2007

It's [Still] a Girl!

I had a follow-up ultrasound today. My last ultrasound, at 17 weeks, showed something called a choroid plexus cyst (go here for more info). So the main purpose of today's visit was to see if the cyst is still there. I guess the radiologist who does the ultrasound isn't really supposed to diagnose things; it has to be reviewed, and my doctor has to tell me about it... In any case, I have to wait three more weeks to know what's going on. That's fine; I'm not incredibly worried, because my doctor isn't worried--the cyst is an isolated thing, so it most likely won't cause any other problems.
The tech did go over all the other stuff with me: growth is normal, my baby is still a girl (I was glad to know, because I've always thought it would be weird if the tech was mistaken and the baby came out a different gender than expected), and she has hair! I'm excited about that, because Owen was bald when he was born, and I worry that he inherited my thin-hair gene. Drew's hair showed up in his ultrasounds, and he has a ton, just like his dad. So hopefully this girl will have thick, luscious locks, too.
As much as I enjoyed the ultrasound (they're uncomfortable, but fun to see), the baby didn't enjoy it at all. Every time the tech pushed on my belly with the little wand thingy (I have no idea what it's called), the baby pushed back from the inside. She moved around a lot, and really made the tech earn today's wages. The tech did some leg measurements, at which point Baby's hand was holding her toes. When the tech went to do the arm measurements, she had to look all over for Baby's arm, which by then was up by her face (the baby does have two arms; I forget where the other one was). This is going to be one spunky girl. I'm glad, because she's got two spunky older brothers and she'll probably have to stand up for herself.
Today I feel like I want to name her Ginger. That will probably change, but it's one of the names that's been floating around in the top five on my list. So of course it's one of the names David doesn't like... At least we have some time to continue discussing. I saw a bright yellow post-it on my folder at the doctor's office. It said my delivery is scheduled for September 17 at 8:30 a.m. It's a Monday, which is good. I was born on an odd-number Monday at 8:28 a.m. Would it be silly to ask the doc to start two minutes early? David is glad that the delivery is scheduled for early in the day, so I'll be coherent enough later to watch the season opening of Monday Night Football (or it might be the 2nd or 3rd game; I'm not sure--but it's sort of a family tradition to watch football every Monday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday).
I feel like this is a spacey and sort of rambling post today, and it reflects what is going on in my spacey and rambling brain. I guess I'd better sign off then...

2 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

CPC are usually no biggie. Ethan had one, and it slowly disappeared over the course of the 3 months and wasn't visible at all on the last ultrasound I had before he was born.

Glad to hear she's still a girl! I made them check again this time for me...something about seeing boy parts that is so sure, but girl parts seem a little less so. Alan and I only have one name we agree on, too, and still haven't finalized anything. Good luck with your name quest : )!

Anonymous said...

Ahh, it is still a girl! At least you know that you know. She does sound fiesty and I am sure you will have your hands full when the time comes for her arrival. It will be interesting to see what you have to say after her arrival, about her and her brothers.

That is so neat that you watch the game together. I wish I enjoyed sports, but I really don't. I just don't get the whole running after a ball thing and making mucho money doing it and being a celebrity and all that. It has just never clicked with my brain, but I see the enjoyment others get from watching all kinds of sports and I wish....for even a smidgen of a longing to try to enjoy it, and it never happens for me. My husband and I do watch a couple shows together. At the moment it is Big Brother, which is one, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday and it is always fun to sit down together and watch together. We also watch American Idol together when it is on and that is about it. I don't watch a lot of TV, I keep myself occupied otherwise usually.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers