21 March 2007

On The Farm

Last Saturday, we took a trip up to my Grandpa's in Oregon. I hadn't been up there in years; maybe ten or more. I remember the ride up when I was younger taking all day. Now, though, thanks to increases in speed limit and not having to stop for potty breaks at every rest area (you know how it is with family vacations; not everyone has to go at the same time), it didn't take very long at all. So I think I'll have to go visit them more often. Grandpa actually only lives about 30 minutes from where David was working in Nampa. If I'd known that, I would have gone to visit the week before, when I was up there. And when Grandpa found out we'd been in Nampa and didn't call...big trouble... We promised we'd never let that happen again.
It was a great visit. Grandpa wasn't expecting us, so when we showed up he was tickled pink. And then about two minutes later, more of my dad's siblings showed up and added to the fun.
Grandma had some delicious food made for us; it was better than a Thanksgiving feast. After dinner, we went out to look at the animals. Grandpa used to raise turkeys, foxes, and mink on a large scale, and kept them far away from the house ('cause they stink), but now he has just a few foxes and turkeys that stay in pens somewhat close to the house. He also has a big ancient donkey, and some smaller younger ones. Drew was fascinated by the donkey; he thought it was a big dog from far away, but when he got closer, his eyes got enormous. He must have been thinking, What in the world?? Owen really liked to pet the horses. One horse kept trying to nibble us, so we didn't stick around him for very long. I'm no carrot. Then we went to look at the ducks and peacocks. Drew doesn't discriminate between species of bird; they're all called duck-duck-duck-duck.
We all had so much fun. I hope we get to go back soon. In the meantime, here are some pictures:
Left: Country Bumpkins. Right: Grandpa, Drew, Me, Owen, Grandma

4 comments:

abby's photo shoppe said...

Love the pics. It's also good to hear the David is back for the time being. Hopefully he will not have to go to Nampa like that again. Soooo, although I didn't request it... did you get me some fox "goods" for my... problem?

Heathie said...

Ah, nuts, Abby. I forgot. I don't know if their "goods" have anything to do with the smell around their cages (I imagine they have something to do with it), but I can't decide if I'd rather smell fox or skunk. Both pretty bad...I think fox wins out by a hair, though.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heathie! So nice you got to spend some time with your grandparents. Their place sounds like fun! All the animals, big and small and your kids got to enjoy them too! There is nothing like a grandparent! You are blessed to still have them. Mine are all gone and sometimes I mess them intensely.

heiresschild said...

it is a blessing to have grandparents. your children will have such good times on the farm. it's good you don't live too far so you can visit often.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers