05 January 2009

Just Find

Yesterday was Drew and Owen's first day in Sunbeam class (3 and 4 year old kids) at church. They were pretty upset about the whole thing. I guess it's the lack of toys and snacks that has them all riled up. And maybe they feel a bit intimidated by all the bigger kids in Primary.
Right after Sacrament Meeting, Drew started saying, "I'm sick. My tummy hurts." We figured he was faking it, and took the boys to Primary. David sat with Drew and Owen for singing time, and when he tried to sneak out, Drew started screaming bloody murder. So David took him to the back of the room. Owen followed them and started crying, too. When Drew calmed down, David took him back to join his class. Drew finally started participating, so David was able to sneak out without Drew paying any attention.
About 15 minutes before church ended, the Sunbeam teacher came to get me out of class. Drew and Owen had to use the toilet. As we were walking to the restroom, Owen said, "I don't want to go back to class." Drew said in his most sugary voice, "I don't have to go to class, if I want." I told him he sure did have to go to class and that's where I took the boys when they were finished doing their business. I sat in there for a couple minutes, then I told them I had to go to the library and I'd be back later. They seemed fine with it. I think in a couple weeks they'll get the hang of things and go to class without any problems.
When we got home from church, I asked Drew if his belly still hurt. He said, "No, it's just find." I have a feeling it was "just find" the whole time.
Samantha is less than "find", today, though. She puked sometime during the night or early in the morning before I got her out of bed. Drew actually tried to claim the mess as his, saying he was sick again, but I didn't really believe him. And when Samantha lost her breakfast, my suspicions were confirmed. I hope she doesn't have anything major. She's pretty much behaving normally, except that she climbed up on my lap and snuggled and sucked her thumb for a couple minutes, which she never does during play time.
Samantha has also been crabbier/feistier lately. I think it has to do with the age she's at. She can't really communicate, so she squawks and screams and throws a fit when she doesn't get her way. And lately she's been smacking my neck with both hands if I happen to be holding her when something makes her mad. She stands up for herself with Drew and Owen, more, too. If one of the boys takes her toy, she employs the usual method of squawking at them and grabs her toy back. Drew and Owen haven't quite figured out what to make of it yet. I'm not sure what to make of it, either. I miss my sweet, quiet little girl and hope she returns soon.

2 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Oh dear. Sure hope we didn't ship our version of the tummy bug your way. It's nasty. I like the "just find" thing - Rachel has a way of getting strategic tummy aches as well.

Jennifer said...

Maybe she is teethingm Ashlyn acts like that when she is getting a tooth. Very moody and fiesty, and Ashlyn may have puked from swallowing all the saliva that comes with teething.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers