22 June 2008

Weekend

We've had a good weekend. Friday we drove down south to attend a friend's wedding luncheon and ring ceremony. He's the friend who introduced me to David (his name is also David. His bride's name is Marcy). I was thrilled when we got his announcement in the mail because he's dated a lot of crazy girls and has wanted to get married for a long time and he finally found that special someone who treats him well and isn't weird. She's in fact very nice and really pretty, and all-around sweet. Drew and Owen were of course excited for the trip, even though they had no clue who David and Marcy were. At random intervals of the trip Drew would exclaim, "I'm so excited to see Marvid and Carcy!" Close enough.
The ring ceremony was something new to me, that I thought was cute and sweet. Dave and Marcy were married in the Mount Timpanogos LDS temple, and a lot of their relatives weren't able to attend. So before the luncheon, they had a guy give a little talk about marriage, then they each read the inscriptions on their rings. They had gotten each others' rings inscribed in Hungarian, which Dave was able to translate (he served a mission in Hungary). Dave had inscribed on Marcy's band something like, "I'll love you forever," and she had inscribed on his, "Love you lots, Stallion!" They exchanged rings and kissed, then we all went inside the reception hall to eat.
Drew and Owen's favorite part of the trip was when we went to Cousin Heidi's house. They got to get out of the car and run around for a few hours and play with all the second cousins. They're still talking about riding the tractor on the driveway (a Little Tikes tractor), and playing in the dirt (the sandbox). It would have been even more fun (for me anyway) if Owen hadn't decided to change his own poopy diaper on the living room floor. It got in his hair, but luckily not on the carpet. And I think everyone (except him) wishes he hadn't dumped sand in the bubble jug and then dumped the bubbles all over the lawn. *sigh.* Next time we visit we'll bring you some bubbles, Heidi!
Samantha had a good time, too. She got to play with little Katie, who is really close in age, for a few minutes. They smiled at each other and swapped pacifiers and poked each other in the eyes. It was cute to watch.
I wish we'd had more time at Heidi's. We decided to drive back to Pocatello that night (only a three hour drive), thinking we'd go camping somewhere on Saturday. But when Saturday rolled around we were so tired. We slept in, which was a mistake because it gave Drew and Owen all kinds of time to totally thrash their room. We were greeted with Balmex and Coppertone all over the place. It smelled like a rash at the beach. It created tons of laundry to do and lots of furniture walls and other general stuff to de-grease. While I was in what's-up-with-these-messes-they're-driving-me-crazy mode, I got my kitchen and living room cleaned. Tomorrow I'll have to clean the main-floor bathroom, which the boys have also been thrashing. Why are they such Destructos? Will they ever grow out of it? A faint hope that they will is all that keeps me going sometimes.
This is somewhat off the subject, but something that I think about often, especially while I'm cleaning up the likes of yesterday's mess. I feel like I'm really hard on my kids sometimes. I'm super stern, and I scold them and yell at them when they're misbehaving. I sometimes even swat their behinds when they tell me "No" after I ask them to do something.
Various relatives say things like, "They're not really misbehaving, they're just exploring" (makes me wonder if the people saying this forgot that they ever had kids). And I can see that in certain cases, like the first time Drew plucked a leaf off my friend's houseplant, for example. He just wanted to see what it was and that was fine, but then I told him, "Drew, we don't pick leaves off of plants. We leave them on so the plant can grow and so we can enjoy it." I dragged him away, but soon he walked back over and plucked another leaf. Probably my explanation was too long and wordy and didn't register in his brain. So I said, "Drew. No. No more leaves off that plant." And once again pulled him away. The next time he looked at me and as I glared at him, saying, "Don't do it..." he smirked his little rebel smirk and plucked another leaf. This is when I swat his behind and sit him in the corner (if we'd been at my house, I'd put him in his room) because that is what I consider misbehavior, rebellion, obstinacy, whatever. He knows what I expect and he does the opposite.
I guess the inner dilemma I face every day is, should I be letting things slide more often? I get tired of saying "no" all the time. I've tried other tactics like distraction, telling them what they actually can do, time out, yelling, sending them to their room, all kinds of stuff. It feels like we're getting nowhere and I sometimes feel like maybe they just don't understand. But then I think, by the time they do understand, maybe it will be too late to train them and discipline them, so I should just keep going on this track and hope the lessons eventually sink in.
I don't really have any conclusions to draw from all of this. I just mull this stuff over in my mind so many times a day (like, every time a kid goes to his room for throwing a toy, biting a sibling, putting a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in a cup of water and dumping said cup on the floor, et al). Here's my inspiration for the day: "...never be weary of good works, but [be] meek and lowly in heart; for such shall find rest to their souls" (Alma 37:34).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, from an old timer's perspective, you could start by keeping all greasy stuff and other non-touchables "out of reach of children." That would solve by prevention. Speaking of prevention, is there anything else that could be prevented to save you from having to decide whether to scold or not to scold? Maybe try to identify things that happen over and over again and try to find a pattern of behaviors and come up with a strategy or two.

Heathie said...

I actually had the balmex and coppertone on the top shelf of the closet. So I have no idea what they climbed on to get it. But we've since put locks on the closet doors. hopefully that'll help. Unless of course they break the locks.

Jennifer said...

I seem to constantly be telling Ashlyn no, also. Some relatives say she is to little to understand. But when I tell her no, I usually say "if you hit me again," or whatever it is she is doing, "you will have to sit in time out" she looks me in the eye, glare and smacks me. To me that isn't to little, she knows exactly what she is doing. If I don't stop it now I don't want to be getting hit when she is 3 or older, so I persist. If we are outside or doing something she really likes I tell her that if she does it again she will have to go inside for a while, after nap or until tomorrow. I don't know what else to do so I keep saying no.

Nurse Heidi said...

Heather, it was great to see you guys! I wish we hadn't had to run off to the dance recital - believe me, except for the 3 minutes Rachel performed, I would have rather been home chatting with you guys. Don't worry about the bubbles ;). It isn't the first time they've been dumped or the last time I'm quite sure.

As far as discipline goes, I'm hard on my kids too. I've been mulling over the same thing all weekend because we had an incident with a family member on Alan's side that didn't care that her daughter punched Rachel. I took the toy in question away and put Rachel in time out so she could calm down even though it was the other child that started and finished the fight. The other mom did nothing at all, and that's par for course for her. I quote: "Grandma can handle it." Umm, who's the parent? Grandma shouldn't have to handle it. That's not fair to her.

Yeah, my kids aren't perfect, but at least I hold them responsible for their behavior! I'd rather be the kind of parent that does something about it than one who lets their kids infringe on everyone elses' well being. The excuse that a kid is just being a kid doesn't fly with me. I can tell the difference between innocent exploring and defiance. Kids will push the boundaries over and over, and if you let them, they'll take a mile. I think you and Dave are doing a great job with your kidlets.

OK, rant over.

Lura said...

I agree with your mom that prevention is the best medicine. That being said, prevention is not always possible when you have little ones. I also feel like I'm always getting after my kids, always telling them no, or punishing them. I don't have any answers, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one.

Laura said...

You know, I am usually long on advice about these kinds of things but having a third kid has taken the wind out of my sails. I love JimJim but the truth is things are sort of always out of control. I imagine that having two toddlers and a baby is that way too. I think though that it's worth listening to your worries. I would suggest prayer. Even if the worries don't get teased out in one session God can usually make you feel a bit better. Oh, another thing we've done recently is hold a family council. One especially contentious afternoon we all sat down, had a prayer, talked about how Mommy (and Daddy) don't like to yell and the kids don't like getting yelled at, then we identified the problems and made up rules to solve them. (My personal favorite: Use things for what they are made for! It doesn't read well but it makes sense to my kids.)We also let the kids come up with the punishment/discipline method. Your boys might be a little young but it's worth a shot. Eleanor helped with ours. We made a poster and put it up in the kitchen. Eleanor is always pretending to read it and telling me the rules. Anyway, I don't mean to go on and on but I've really liked some of the ideas from Jane Nelson's Positive Discipline series, The Optimistic Child, and Love and Logic parenting. Just google any of those or look them up at your library and you will find a wealth of information. I'm not very good at the discipline (you read my blog so you know that!), but it makes me feel better to know I'm trying.

Laura said...

P.S. U.S. News and World Report just did a piece on scientifically proven methods of discipline. Yelling, nagging, and corporal punishments came out as ineffective in almost all studies. The thing that worked to improve behavior across the board: empathy! I was so surprised to read that. Okay, now I'm officially done.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers