11 June 2008

Goodbye, No-Name Car. Hello, Duchess!

I usually name my cars (even if they're not technically mine. Like, my mom's old Plymouth Acclaim was dubbed Bessy). Four years ago, almost exactly, I bought a cute little dark green Toyota Corolla. I never gave it a name. Yesterday we sold it. For 1,100 bucks. I thought it would be worth slightly more than that (even Kelley Blue Book says it is), but it did have a list of problems that the dealership thought depleted the value even further. Just little things like a cracked windshield, a door that doesn't open from the inside, a missing hub cap, 110,000 miles (not much for a Toyota; it could still go another 40,000), some scratches... But it also has brand new rotors, breaks and tires. Anyway. I was a little emotional to see it go (it was my first car after all). But I think most of that emotion stemmed from the excitement of getting our new Chevy Malibu! I still get giddy when I think about it.
We've been looking at getting a new car for over a year now. We toyed with the idea of getting a minivan, but couldn't bring ourselves to do it. We finally found the Malibu, which holds all three car seats, gets better mileage than a minivan (though not quite as much as the Corolla), costs less than a minivan, and is way sleeker (more sleek?). It will do us quite nicely for our trip to Seattle next month.
I haven't actually settled on the name Duchess for the Malibu, but I think it could work, especially with the name of the color: Imperial Metallic Blue. And I didn't even make that up, the folks at Chevrolet did. So I think I'm going to try it out for a few days and see if it sticks.


Here are some pictures of the old and the new:


4 comments:

Lura said...

Nice car!

Marissa said...

NICE!!! My sister and mom liked to name our cars. Thought you might enjoy them since you name your cars and all:
Some old Chryler car that talked: 'Car'lton (it always told us our door was a jar... weird car. It was majorly confused)
Gold Ford Windstar: Vincent Van Gold (my personal favorite)
Silver Ford Aerostar: Vana Gray
A Firebird who's headlights came up out of the car-except one didn't work - Abraham Winkin
That's all I can think of.

Kadee said...

I've never really cared about foreign or american cars. Since moving to Detroit I can't help but be a little happy every time someone buys American (even though we have 2 foreign cars sitting in our garage). Congrats on the new car!

Anonymous said...

FANCY!! :) (I like the name Dutchess)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers