19 March 2008

Is Six Months Too Long?

Can I still say, "I just had a baby" and expect sympathy, or should six months be ample time to get over it?

City league soccer started yesterday. I didn't play very well. But, I mean, I just had a baby, right? So I'm allowed to be out of shape, right?? Hmm. Maybe if I omit the italics: I just had a baby, so I'm a little out of shape. Then it doesn't sound like I had my baby yesterday, but still fairly recently.

Honestly, the reason I didn't play very well, aside from lack of oxygen to my major muscle groups due to poor cardio-pulmonary performance, is that I'm just not very good at soccer. Two seasons in junior high/high school didn't turn me into a star. Who woulda thought? I never figured out the strategic part of the game, like where should I be on the field and when should I be there? Also, I'm a little bit scared of the ball. There. I said it. I don't want to have the wind knocked out of me, or get a black eye or a bloody nose. I feel like I'm just too old for that. All that being said, I'm very glad to be playing. I had forgotten how much fun it is to just get out and run around like crazy.
And, it's very fun when our team wins our first game 3-1, especially against one of our arch rivals*!
*I'm probably the only one who considers this team a big rival. But there is a guy on there who drives me crazy! He's a total trash-talker and he just acts like he's all that and then some. He's pretty good at soccer, but honestly? It's co-ed city league. Lighten up.

2 comments:

Kadee said...

I still play the " I just had a baby card" (1.5 years ago)! I think you're fine on that.

abby's photo shoppe said...

Any floppers I know?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers