20 August 2007

Mold. Ick!

What a fun weekend we had! For the most part. We did go wakeboarding on Friday (just boat-riding for me, though). It rained a little as we were starting out, then cleared up into a perfectly warm, gorgeous day. David got a few runs in on the wakeboard. Drew and Owen were fascinated to watch him. Drew kept saying, "Where are you Dad? Right there!" He'd point out to the river where David was riding behind the boat. It was so cute. Owen kept saying, "Ride? Yeah? Ride?" I think if we actually got him out there riding though, he wouldn't really like it.
The nice weather held up for about five hours. Just as we were getting ready to haul in, rain started falling in huge drops, and lightning started striking the nearby mountains. So we high-tailed it right out of there. It rained buckets, which was really great because it cooled things down, and we really needed the water. Except on the inside of the house.
We discovered mold in the room that my nephew is staying in. Turns out one of the sprinklers was watering the window well and into the window. So we had to call up our insurance company to see if they cover it; they don't cover mold, but they do cover water damage. Luckily for us, they will fix the walls (replace they drywall and the insulation) and replace the carpet and pad. It'll cost a couple grand, but we only have to pay a fraction of that--just the deductible. Whew. And on Labor Day weekend, my dear old Dad gets to come work. He was going to come and finish painting our deck, a project that he started a few months ago, but now he gets to help me fix a sprinkler as well. Good thing he and I have some landscaping experience (he more than I). A few years ago, we worked in Sun Valley, Idaho, for a summer (it was more like two weeks for me) putting in sprinkler systems, lawns and sagebrush* for the rich and famous. I imagine I'll be the foreman on this project; I'll just stand around giving orders and watching to make sure everything is done correctly. I don't visualize myself really getting down and digging pipe and filling in holes with gravel and dirt. I don't want to actually go into labor; Labor Day would take on a whole new meaning then, one for which I'm not quite ready! But I did get some really cute crib sheets today; pink striped ones. So I'm one step closer!
*True story: We did some work for the President and the CEO of a very large company (it starts with a 'D' and rhymes with "Ow Chemical"), they happen to be husband and wife; she inherited the company from her dad. Anyway. She was super nice. Reminded me of my mom's mom except she didn't bake us cookies. Probably too busy running her company. I never met her husband. Their house was massive, of course, as was their yard. But there was no lawn. You'd think that would make it easier to take care of, right? Not so much. She had my dad make a little booklet with samples of which plants could stay and which ones had to go. They all looked like weeds to me, but some were "wild flowers" and "wild grasses." And lots and lots of sagebrush. And the sprinklers we put in had to be buried just so, without disturbing at all the existing flora. It was kinda tricky, but we got it done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your boys are so cute...they are at just the right stage to say all the funny/cutsie things. I am sure they will grow up appreciating you taking them on weekends like that and they will enjoy the water and all the water has to offer for them.

It is times like this that you really do appreciate your insurance company, no? (I work in insurance, so I had to mention that fact! lol)

Kadee said...

We came home from out vacation to find a basement full of mold! That gives me an idea. I think I'll blog about it.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers