01 June 2007

The Best Feeling and The Two Worst Feelings

We (David, the boys and I, and my brother and his family) all went to the Ross Park Aquatic Complex. We had a grand time. The boys enjoyed the kiddie pool, and even though they didn't want to splash in the waterfalls themselves, they like to watch all the "big kids" splash, and they liked to go down the little slide and land in the water. They loved the lazy river, where David and I each got on a tube and floated around with the boys on our laps. Some punk kid was going around tipping people over. Before he got to us, we heard him yell, "I just tipped a girl off her tube and I didn't even know her!" Then, he came up to David from behind and tried to tip him over, but David was standing in the middle of his tube and didn't fall. I was ticked, 'cause David was holding Drew, and trying to get them both situated. So I yelled at the kid: "Dude, what are you doing tipping people you don't even know??" And at the same time, the kid's friend yelled, "Dude, he has a baby!" So by the time David turned around to glare at the kid, he was apologizing profusely: "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" So David decided not to say anything to him. Later, I heard the same punk kid talking so foul and dirty. He was talking to an older guy (well, older than me), and I don't know if he knew the guy or not, 'cause he was the kind of kid that doesn't have to know someone to be rude and obscene. But I wish the guy would've smacked the kid upside the head and told him to watch his mouth. I would have boxed his ears if I could have reached them.
But snotty brats aside, we had a great time at the pool. One of my favorite things about going swimming (this is my best feeling of today's post) is putting my warm clothes on afterward. I get cold pretty easily, and I love to change from cold, soggy, generally-too-tight swimsuit to warm, comfy pants and shirt.
Today, I was in charge of changing Drew, while David took care of Owen. So I took Drew into the dressing room with me and got him changed, then worked on changing myself. I was just towelling off when Drew looked at me and said, "Belly!" He's so observant. I replied, "Yup, that's my belly!" And then, clever little Drew said, "Ew." (worst feeling number one) David tried to console me by saying, "He doesn't know what it means." But he does! He knows that ew is the same as yuck and he says yuck when I'm changing his dirty diapers. So it made me feel a little bad. But not bad enough that I didn't find it quite funny.
Drew got restless pretty fast in the little dressing room stall. I was trying to hurry, but I wasn't fast enough. He shimmied off the little bench, and got past my futile efforts to block the stall door (which was one of those flimsy little curtains). He said, "'Bye! See ya!" and took off out the door. I was still pulling up my britches and had one arm through my shirt sleeve, so all I could do was yell, "Drew! Wait for me!" but he would have none of it. I finally got my pants done up, my shirt on, grabbed all my stuff off the bench and raced after him. He was no where to be found (worst feeling ever). I looked all around every corner in that dressing room. It was like a maze in there. I couldn't hear him, or see him or anything. So I hustled toward the exit, and a lady coming in, noticing the panic on my face, said, "He just walked out that way." So I went out and there he was, trying to get back into the kiddie pool. It was crazy. In the 45 seconds it took me to finish getting dressed and run around the dressing room, my mind went through every possible scenario of what could happen to Drew, except the one where he would be safely returned to my arms*.
In summation, I would say the very best part of my day was tucking the boys safely into their cribs, and giving them tickles and kisses, and knowing they can't escape until I let them out in the morning.
*I have always felt sorry for the kids that are harnessed and leashed, but I think I might get a similar setup for my kids, just for situations like this. Then they can't run off when I'm helpless to stop them. But I think I'd like one that's disguised as a backpack, so the kids don't feel too silly wearing it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom had a leash for me and Julie. She said with twins one will run one way while the other goes the opposite direction and then you have to choose who to go after first. I like the backback camo idea, I don't think they had nice ones like that so long ago, we probably looked like dogs on a leash.

Anonymous said...

They are at target! I have one for Brigham but haven't used it yet. It looks like a teddy bear back pack. It was in the infant section for about 12 bucks. If you want me to bring mine so you can try it out just let me know.
later,
Abby

Ellie said...

What a day for you! I think every parent/mother always thinks of the way worst possible scenerio before they think of a postitive outcome. I am glad your little one was found and all was well at the end of the day. As for the punk kid...how sad for the kid that he never learned to respect people. I would have likely yelled at him as well!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers