11 June 2007

Make Sure The Area Is Safe

...That is the very first step in helping a child (or anyone) who has been injured. I learned this in the pediatric first aid class that I took tonight. I didn't realize, when I signed up for the class, that the CPR course would be separate. I think I might sign up for it some other time. But we did learn a few vital basics for CPR, so in the meantime, I feel like I could handle a situation if need be.
I signed up for the class through the hospital. It cost $30, and was quite worth it. It came with a book and a CD-ROM, and I'll be getting a little certificate in the mail. Even though I have had some basic first aid instructions before, I never felt confident that I could do much more than apply a bandaid. I feel much better, after taking the class, and I think I could even be of some assistance in a real emergency. I would recommend a class like this to anyone with kids, or who works with kids.
The other bonus of tonight's class, was that I got a little break from my mommy duties. It was kind of a nice change. The boys were in bed when I got home, but not asleep, so I snuck in to give them kisses. They were glad to see me and gave me big hugs. It was great to know that I had been missed.

1 comment:

Ellie said...

I went through the CPR training about 5 years ago and I don't know if I could save a life now or not, I have forgotten a lot of what I learned. I just remember that we had to kneel on the floor to rescusitate the dummies and one poor lady kept on "passing gas" each time she leaned over to blow in the dummies mouth! Isn't it awful that I would remember THAT and forget what was really important?????

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers