30 October 2006

If You Have The Brain God Gave Vito

...then you'll be a Boston Celtics fan.
The start of NBA season (tomorrow) seems like an appropriate time for Drew and Owen to hear the "What Every Boy Needs to Know to Be a Man" speech. So this afternoon David stood in front of the boys who, secure in their high chairs, had no choice but to pay attention (well, they couldn't crawl away in any case). He introduced himself as "Dad" or "Dadadadada." Then he introduced me: "This is my apprentice. You may call her Mom or Mamamamama. Or just say, 'Waaaaa!' As you can see by her shirt, she is a Celtics fan. I am a Celtics fan. As members of this family, you will also be Celtics fans."
I had to interrupt at this point and remind him that at one point he said parents shouldn't choose which sports teams their kids like. It should be up to the kids. So he told Drew and Owen, "When you are old enough, you may choose what your favorite team is. [This is where the title comes in] But if you have the brain God gave Vito, you'll be a Celtics fan."
The lecture lasted longer than this; I'm not sure what else was said, as I excused myself to go put my shoes on. As apprentice, I have the prerogative to leave the lecture early and take care of other more important matters. But I'm sure it was a good speech, and I was glad to witness a bonding moment between parent and children.
I'm also glad basketball players got some longer shorts.

1 comment:

Ace said...

Poor Vito. Although he never has had the brains God in his infinite wisdom gave to Saint Belle-vis, he is still the best and sweetest dog ever.

And I'm rooting for the Sonics. Am I out of the family?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers