06 March 2009

My Mini Meltdown

This has been a rough week. I have had all kinds of homework and quizzes in my classes, along with a project for my statistics class. Pretty much everything was due Thursday. On top of all that, our ward had a dinner (on Thursday, too) and they asked me to make a centerpiece for one of the tables. The theme was "Angels Among Us" so I decided to draw some pictures representing all the people in the ward whom I consider my angels.
I didn't really plan my week very well so I ended up doing most of my Statistics project Tuesday night (I don't think I did anything productive on Monday, but that was so long ago it's hard to say for sure), then I polished it up on Wednesday night and spent most of Wednesday night drawing pictures. It took about four hours and by the time I got the kids to bed and my Stats project finished it was 11 pm. before I was able to start on my centerpiece. I thought the drawings turned out really cute, though.
Thursday was crazy beyond crazy. Wouldn't you know Samantha ran out of diapers, so I had to run to the store and get some. Then I had to dash home and get everybody ready so I could go to class and the kids could go to the sitter. We hauled the kids across the street to drop them off, but the sitter wasn't there. Slight panic! (I didn't feel bad or anything, though, 'cause I've done that to her once before, too. Oops.) I called another friend who was able to watch the kids on about two-minutes notice. I was only five minutes late to class. Good thing my professor is really laid back (he did call me a reject, but I'm pretty sure he was joking. I hope). Between classes, my friend Nirmal and I put some finishing touches on our Stats project, printed it out and handed it in.
After class, I had to run to the store again. I had also signed up to bring Mexican rice to the dinner, and realized that I didn't have any of the ingredients except for the rice and a can of tomatoes. Oh, and some cumin. So I made a quick trip to get some green peppers, some soup stock, a jalapeno, some garlic and an onion (we never have this stuff on hand because David won't eat anything that contains those ingredients). Then I dashed over to pick up my kids and dashed back home to make rice, feed the kids, clean the kitchen and put my pictures onto some paper flowers to make an actual centerpiece.
We made it to the church for the dinner, but we were about 10 minutes late. I walked the kids to the nursery and no one was there. I started to lose it. This whole thing had taken so much of my time and energy, not to mention my precious sleep time. And I was going to have to turn around and go home. One of my church friends came in to see why I hadn't returned to the dinner. She had no idea there were no babysitters; there were supposed to be, but they hadn't shown. She went to find out what was going on. By the time she got back to tell me a sitter was on the way, I was a mess. I felt really dumb for crying over something so silly because normally I'd just say, "Oh, I guess I'll bring my kids to eat with me and we'll just skip out early." But I was so tired and so stressed and had put so much energy into this thing, that this was the proverbial straw that broke the proverbial camel's proverbial back (at that point yesterday, "proverbial" was probably substituted in my mind with a few other choice words).
My girlfriends at church really are my angels, though. A couple of them sat with me until I regained my composure and then went in with me to get something to eat even though everyone else was pretty much already finished eating. I was sort of on the edge the rest of the night; every time someone asked me if I was okay, I started to well up again. But I made it through, and when I got home I got everybody to bed, I wound down by watching Ugly Betty (love that show!), then I crashed. I woke up feeling much better.
I still have a speech due Tuesday that I'm kind of stressed about because there's a lot of research to do and I'm having a hard time finding the right kind of sources.* We are only allowed to have a few Internet sources and have to have mostly books. So I've got a trip to the library scheduled for tomorrow, and hopefully it will be productive.
*I'm looking for statistics and laws about ladies who abuse drugs and alcohol while they're pregnant. I personally think it should be considered child abuse, so that's what I'm going to argue for my speech. But I'm having a hard time coming up with sources from a legal standpoint.

Here are the pictures I drew of my angels:








7 comments:

Marissa said...

Heather, you are my hero. I would have broken a LONG time before you... I know you have a lot on your plate and you are so good at doing EVERYTHING. You definitely had a LOT going on and it's really not surprising you felt so overwhelmed! It's so great that you have such good church friends. And I LOVE your drawings by the way! I didn't know you were such a talented artist! (the only thing I've seen you draw was a nuey gluay on my MTC notebook) *that's tired banana for you!

abby's photo shoppe said...

Oh Heather! I am sorry you had a bad week. If it makes you feel any better I have been in the same boat as you. We must have been channeling each other. And You are doing about 1234918274098 BRAZILLION more things than I am. I have been there, in the empty nursery, having a breakdown with absolutely no control over my composure many times. So honey, you are soooooo over due for a little bit of tears. I hope you feel better and one of these days (hopefully soon, cross your fingers) we will move close to you and you can bring your kids over ANYTIME! We miss and love you!
Abalicious and fam
PS YOU DREW THOSE PICTURES! I think I hate you and all your talent! (read as pure jealousy)

Unknown said...

I still think that you are an amazing woman! You handled yourself the way you should have. I don't think anyone can compare to the things that you go through but, I know that only Heavenly Father can give you those challenges as He knows that you, Heather, can handle them. It is a good thing that we have those challenges in life, for without them, we would be even more stressed out I think. I wish that I could take some of those stresses from you and I am glad that you have those "Angels" with you. I have had them visit me also and I can say that they really are a blessing. Best of luck in all that you do and congratulations on how far you have already made it.

Laura said...

Heather, it sounds like you handled it beautifully! You are Wonder Woman. Love the cartoons--you are so talented.

Kadee said...

Sorry for the bad week! I'm glad you have some good friends to help you out! I loved the drawings!

Anonymous said...

Amen to what everyone else said about your stress and your ability to carry a heavy load.

Those drawings are gorgeous!! Hope you frame them!!(Or publish them or something)

Erin said...

I am so glad there are people to take care of you!! I love your art too. Call me anytime!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers