19 May 2007

Our Outta Sight Friday Night

I went to bed early last night. Before 9:00, even. And I still couldn't get out of bed before 9:00 this morning. I didn't sleep well; a little someone gave my bladder a fantastic kick around 3 a.m. and after I used the toilet and went back to bed, I didn't fall back to sleep 'til almost 5. So that took its toll, but I think mostly I was just too tired from all our excitement throughout the day yesterday. It went something like this:
3:30 p.m.: Drew and Owen woke up from their nap, grumpy as can be. I was almost tempted to just put them back to bed. I gave them a little snack and we decided it would be good to get them out of the house, so we loaded up and went to the park.
5:30 p.m.: We finally got bored of the park (I think David and I got bored long before the boys did), so we hopped back in the car to head home. On the way, we drove past the railroad yard. I was impressed at the size of it, so David took us on a tour. It's about three or four miles long, so it took some time to go through it.
6:15 p.m.: We passed a car dealership on our way home and decided to stop and look at some cars. We ended up test driving a Suburban, which is way too much car. I felt like I was in a bus; I was sitting up high, and close to the front of the vehicle, and there was still all this vehicle behind us. By this time, the boys' snacks started to wear off, and they were getting really crabby. Drew screamed practically the whole time we were driving the Suburban around.
7:00 p.m.: We stopped at Skippers to get dinner. The lady working the counter didn't know how to work the gift card we gave her, so she called her boss and he walked her through it. We were about 86 cents short on the gift card and didn't have any cash (I cleaned out our car the other day and put all the change in our coin jar), so we put the remainder on the credit card. We're awesome. But it took a long time and Drew was getting even more crabby than he already was, so he and I waited outside while David and Owen waited for our food.
7:20 p.m.: We finally got home to enjoy our fried fish and greasy fries and chowder. I was thinking we'd have a nice quiet dinner, then go for a walk so David could sleep (he had to work last night). Drew and Owen had other plans. Drew was happily dipping his fries in tartar sauce, making a lovely mess all over his face, arms, shirt, legs (don't know how he got past his tray to get the stuff on his legs...), hair--basically everywhere. Owen kept his more contained; it went straight into his hair. I didn't see him do it at first, so when I noticed his greasy hair with bits of pickles in it, I asked, "Owen, how in the world did you get all that stuff in your hair?!" He was all too happy to show me. He dipped his little fingers into tartar sauce and carefully rubbed it into his hair. He did it multiple times, until he was out of tartar sauce.
8:00 p.m.: Got the boys into the tub. I was happily finishing my chowder while they bathed, when suddenly Owen started screaming. I looked up from my take-out cup and there he was with some brown stuff on his hand. That's right. He pooped in the tub. So I whisked the boys out of the tub before it could really get all over them, and went to clean out the kitchen sink so I could finish bathing them (they still had tartar sauce in their hair), figuring I'd just clean the tub out later. Owen was standing behind me as I was getting the sink ready. Drew was running around the house, happy as can be to be naked; he even stood in front of our open front door and yelled "Hi!" to the neighbors... Then Owen started screaming again, and lo, he had pooped on the kitchen floor. Sooooo glad we have tile and not carpet like some crazy kitchens have. So I chucked Owen in the sink, and yelled for David to come clean the floor for me and put a diaper on Drew before he had a chance to do something similar. Before David could get into the kitchen, the dog decided to help out and clean up some of the mess for us. Well, I couldn't have that; the boys let Vito lick their faces from time to time. So I shooed him out and finished washing Owen's hair (he didn't find the sink very enjoyable. At all). David cleaned the floor, and I washed Drew's hair (he liked the experience only slightly more than Owen did).
8:35 p.m.: Finally got the boys diapered and dressed, put them in bed and cleaned out the tub. I'd had more excitement than I could handle. David went to take a nap before work, so I decided I'd call it a day, myself. I left the kitchen in much disarray (but at least there were no more 'surprises' on the floor), and went to bed. And slept soundly until 3 a.m. ...

1 comment:

abby's photo shoppe said...

Advice from my OB doctor was SLEEP WHILE YOU CAN. So when I was prego with Brigham I could only get good sleep from about 10am to 2pm. I actually remember staying up until 3am and making lemon poppyseed muffins, watching Little women and practically crying because I couldn't sleep at night.
And about the pooing incident, don't worry, Brigham has done that on several occasions too. The first time it scared him to death. Not only because the poo was scary but my reaction was to yell for Seth to come help. He screamed for a while before I could calm him down.
I hope you get some good rest and a good laugh out of your day.
Take care.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers