23 May 2007

Adventures in Grocery Shopping, Part III

I guess posts with this title are becoming a regular thing, so I'll probably just have to turn it into a series or something.
Today's adventure was actually someone else's adventure. We were in Wal*Mart, just cruising the aisles, looking for menu ideas, and we went to turn into the rice aisle but there was a big commotion in the middle of the aisle. So we went down a different aisle and doubled back to the rice. As we got closer to the group of people, I saw a little old lady laying on the floor. She had some blood on her hand, and a Wal*Mart employee was radioing for someone to call an ambulance. I surmised that the lady had fallen and, as is common at her age, had probably broken something. I felt so bad for her, and also her grandchildren, who were with her. The grandchildren were young, maybe around five and eight years old, and the younger one was just wailing. She looked so scared. The lady herself was pretty brave. I even heard her try to make a joke. It didn't console her granddaughter, but at least then I knew she was conscious.
The experience made me wish, though, that I knew First Aid, or was an EMT or something. If I had been the only one around in that situation, I wouldn't have known what to do. I would have known not to move her, but other than that, we'd be in trouble. I don't really know what to do if something happens to my kids, either. David mentioned once that he thought that some kind of First Aid certification should be required before they let you leave the hospital with your baby. They make you watch the Shaken Baby Syndrome video, and one little video about CPR, but they don't come and test you to make sure you know how to do it. I've seen dozens of videos and papers with diagrams on how to perform CPR, but I've never practiced. I would be scared to try it, should the need ever arise, and worry that I'd do more damage than good. I've decided I'm going to take a First Aid class; that will be a goal of mine this summer.

4 comments:

Kadee said...

You don't remember all that advice they gave us in preparation for Young Women's camp. Remember the hours sitting in a Relief Society room on Cliffside while Julie Nelson's mom went on and on and on about first aid!

Heathie said...

I remember not wanting to give the dummy mouth-to-mouth, but hoping that that Weston boy would act as dummy instead! And I remember how to do a splint; but that's all.

Anonymous said...

I have taken several CPR/First Aid classes, you have to when you would at a gym. But I never really paid attention to the kids part, just the adult part, opps. Now I just think my husbands a nurse he can handle those things but really, something would probably happen when he is at work and my mind would go blank, I should take a refresher course, or at least read though some of the nursing books we have around here.

Ellie said...

Hi Heathie,

That was some story...and I like the new look on your blog...your boys are so adorable!

Anyway...I am back...I have a new blog and invite you over when you have time. It is good to be back to typing out my thoughts...ahhhh

Blessings,

Ellie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers