04 May 2007

All This At My Tender Young Age

I got a letter from the Social Security Department the other day. At first I thought I was in trouble because I haven't yet changed my info from my maiden name to my married name, and I've been married for (almost) 2 years. But upon opening the letter, I discovered it was a statement showing my earnings from when I started working as a teenager up 'til now. It seems to me that ol' G-Dub and his cronies over in Washington D.C. want me to feel as though the government taking money from my paychecks for Social Security will have some benefits for me by the time I'm ready to retire.
My personal feeling was that by the time I'm old enough to retire, there will be no such thing as Social Security; it will be depleted, or possibly replaced with something not quite as good. But since I got that letter, I now realize that I will be taken care of: by the time I retire, I will have earned enough Social Security to live quite comfortably to the end of my days. But only if the end comes within a week of my retirement. If things are looking this good already, I can only imagine how great they'll be after I put in another 30 years or so. WooHoo.

No comments:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers