01 October 2009

Brush Your Kids' Teeth!

I really like my job. I feel like I picked up on the hygiene side of things pretty quickly; doing cleanings, taking x-rays, et cetera. But I feel like I'm struggling still as far as assisting with fillings and crowns (or Ops as we call them). I have shaky hands, and they feel large and in the way. I dropped a couple things today, and I handed the wrong thing at the wrong time once or twice. I realize it takes practice and I've only done it a handful of times, but still--it's frustrating. So with that in mind, here's a Public Service Announcement from your friendly newby Dental Assistant:

I've been up since 5:45 a.m. for the second day in a row. Most Wednesdays or Thursdays the dentist I'm working for goes up to the hospital or the surgery center to do work on kids who just have a ton of work to do and who won't sit still for the work (we're talking thrashing and screaming, not just a few flinches here and there). The kids are put under general anesthesia so the dentist can work on them.

The first time I went was pretty tough to watch. We were setting up all our equipment and supplies when the first kid was brought in to be put under. This poor girl was crying for her mommy and then the meds kicked in and suddenly she was just laying there. Now I know why they don't allow parents back there; it's kind of heart-wrenching!

Even more heart-wrenching, though, is the amount of decay in these kids' mouths. Of course cavities happen, even with good hygiene habits; that's part of why dentists exist. But putting a bunch of fillings and a couple crowns in a three or four year old kid is just crazy. That happens when kids are eating lots of junk, and going to bed night after night without brushing.

So please brush your kids' teeth, especially at night, so I can do more of the cleanings and x-rays that I love and less of the Ops that make me nervous!

Here are some helpful guidelines for helping your kids take care of their teeth:


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the info, I must admit that I haven't done a very good job with Ashlyn, she usually does it herself. But she went to the dentist the same time you posted this and he said she has some decalcification (sp?), needless to say she no longer does it herself.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers